• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How do I find a luthier?

bngracing

Needing to get a 95 LP "right".

I was recommended a place and the tech/owner seemed more interested in selling me a new guitar than taking care of something I treasure; my old '95 LP. There's a ripple in the fretboard, a slight bow on the bass string side, and the shoulders of the neck + binding never got on with me...but I always loved this guitar. Always found Fenders to play/feel better to me but those are all long gone. From new, this 95 Standard always made me hunt for the notes and wasn't easy to play and I'm looking to change that.

Back to the hunt to make this guitar right again; I'm finding that many luthiers give me a hard "no" when I mention shaving/recontouring the neck. Ideally, I'd like maybe .5mm off at the 1st fret, if even that, but to have less slope going down the neck - so somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5mm off at the 12th fret which would make it about 20-21mm. Trim the shoulders down from a D neck to something Fender-ish, C or soft V, and rounding off the binding going to the fretboard...which will need to be planed and refretted anyway.

It's a lot of work, it won't be cheap, but that's a-ok...I'm never selling this guitar and will try to "save the marriage" instead relegating it to the wall.

So how do I find a luthier that will do all this?

El Gringo

Why not give the Music Zoo a call . I use them and can testify they are the best . I UPS ship my instruments to them and yes it takes some time , but the wait is worth it and the work is the best as is the Music Zoo to shop as well . Seriously they are very good and will not hustle you .