• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'67 SG Standard ABR bridge Facing the Wrong Way?

Davidos

I have a new to me '67 SG Standard. One thing I have noticed is that the ABR slot screws are facing the Maestro. Googling the same guitar I see a mix of pics where the bridge is facing the pickups and also facing the tailpiece.

Right now - facing the tailpiece - the strings are resting on the adjustment screw heads. Is there any benefit to flipping the bridge the other "correct" direction? I'm asking because I will have to take each saddle out and flip them, etc.

marshall1987

Yeah I have seen the reversed ABR-1 bridges many times on old vintage Gibsons. I don't believe this is the method Gibson incorporated in the 1960s (or any decade). I'm at a loss to explain why it is so common. :dang

As you indicated, a reversed ABR-1 can be problematic if/when the strings rest on the heads of the saddle screws. And nine times out of ten you simply can not turn the bridge around to correct the issue. When you try this you'll find that the saddle notches are out of the correct string spacing criteria.

Big Al

It is a 1967. Is it so inconceivable that sometime in the past 50 years the bridge was flipped during a string change or cleaning? Something that is a common occurrence as the bridge comes off easily and often is reinstalled backwards.

Everyone I know who recognises this "problem" solves it by simply putting it on the right way. Obviously, the obvious reason and solution is obscured by pondering issues that aren't.:##:hmm

Saddles can just as easily be installed in correct order if string notches have been notched for reversed order. In worst case you can install new saddles.