The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

I've been playing for 8 years now!

Hey.
    I've been playing for 8 years, learning things here and there but I had such a weird attitude about playing and learning guitar.

It took me a good while to realise that the positions of scales are just continuations of the same scale and once you learn them you can play them up and down the neck.

I had the idea that in order to learn a chord you should really just know the chord shape and me being lazy only ever learned the open chords, bar chords and a handful of 7th chords. I never thought that if you learned what made a chord you could then build them yourself instead of relying on knowing shapes.

Another thing is that I never thought it was a good idea to copy certain licks off of other guitarists. So many of those pentatonic blues cliches the likes of Hendrix and Page would play I wouldn't incorporate it into my own playing because I thought oh that's already been done so I cant do it. I really only learned to solo about a year ago because of this.

When ever i tried to learn a new technique, Tapping for example i wouldn't ever actually practice it , I'd do the example I was given and would be like "I can do it so that's that".
    Last edited by T.Allen; 10-23-19 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Spammer

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Re: I've been playing for 8 years now!

I have no use for barre chords.

Scales.

Theory.

Tapping.

Or any proper musicianship.

I play rock and roll.

Time, even a short amount of time spent playing intelligently, having the understanding and knowledge of the what and why, is more important than time wasted playing like a monkey.

You engage the heart. It is not a skill but rather your personal identity, passion, reason for expressing yourself musically. You learn by living, expressed though honestly.

You engage the body through smart practice building your touch and technique. The HOW you play to express the heart.

You engage the mind by smart practice to know what you wish to do and how best to accomplish it.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Two great posts by 'Texas Blues' & 'Big Al'--both from the heart...thanks!

Les Paul Forum Member Gold Tone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Time, even a short amount of time spent playing intelligently, having the understanding and knowledge of the what and why, is more important than time wasted playing like a monkey.

You engage the heart. It is not a skill but rather your personal identity, passion, reason for expressing yourself musically. You learn by living, expressed though honestly.

You engage the body through smart practice building your touch and technique. The HOW you play to express the heart.

You engage the mind by smart practice to know what you wish to do and how best to accomplish it.
    Thank You!!

Exactly this!!! To express your ideas and feelings through music learn the language through hard work and practice.

DON’T F’N NOODLE!!!

Les Paul Forum Member

Spam link included and post stolen from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comm...rs_discussion/

Reported.

Thank you for reporting this post. Banned.