• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why are vintage guitars considered to sound better than modern ones?

BSeneca

A lot has been said here. WOW. I am not getting into a pissing match. But all I know is my 1952 Goldtop sounds better than the 56 reissue I used to own. Don’t know what it is, but feels more “alive” for lack of a better word when I play gigs with it. That said the reissue was one of the nicest guitars I have owned and I have owned dozens upon dozens. The tuners were better, the frets were bigger (which is the only “bitch” I have with the 52) and obviously the neck angle was better. I don’t believe Brazilian does shit to the tone as I have owned multiple vintage Gibson’s. I do feel the body wood does. Once again I was blessed to own, record, gig and enjoy vintage guitars. But the custom shop guitars for the most part have been equally enjoyable. If they speak to you embrace them and play them. Old or new. It’s all in you’re hands.

agogetr

so you are bashing seventies and eighties? have you ever owned any late 70's les pauls? some pretty damn good guitars around 79. i had half a dozen or so. early seventies bite. some 76's were really good. the custom shop stuff may be good. i have not a/bed any of that stuff like i did in the eighties with my old 52 esquire that was a quantum leap better sounding than any of the new teles i put it up against at that time. old may not always be better.. but when it is (which is a bigger part of the time) it is not comparable to anything else. also... i just dont want new wood.its not 'setteled in'
Honestly, I've played so many Custom Shop Gibsons that are every bit as good as their vintage counterparts that I sold off a bunch. It ain't the 70's or 80's for damn sure. The Golden Age lives on today. The biggest thing, and it is noteworthy, is no matter how good they look, feel or sound, they can not ever be a 1955 Custom, or a 1959 Burst. That is a tangible thing. A real thing that can only be continued or replicated, well done actually, but cannot ever become or be. I figured that a long time ago. I'm happy with my Replicas or present day continuations and I cherish my vintage originals. I'm happy.

agogetr

i,m probably going to make someone upset but in my diminished opinion the 52 p90's were some of the best ever made.some
(or a lot) have the best clarity of all.
A lot has been said here. WOW. I am not getting into a pissing match. But all I know is my 1952 Goldtop sounds better than the 56 reissue I used to own. Don’t know what it is, but feels more “alive” for lack of a better word when I play gigs with it. That said the reissue was one of the nicest guitars I have owned and I have owned dozens upon dozens. The tuners were better, the frets were bigger (which is the only “bitch” I have with the 52) and obviously the neck angle was better. I don’t believe Brazilian does shit to the tone as I have owned multiple vintage Gibson’s. I do feel the body wood does. Once again I was blessed to own, record, gig and enjoy vintage guitars. But the custom shop guitars for the most part have been equally enjoyable. If they speak to you embrace them and play them. Old or new. It’s all in you’re hands.

gmann

Because the music we grew up on, our main influences for the most part, were made on these instruments. Alot of them do sound better, others not so much.