The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

what's the verdict on the 60th Anniversary R9s? Did they nail it?

Hey guys,

just to pass the waiting time until mine arrives: what's the consensus (if there is one) on the 2019 R9s?

cheers

Re: what's the verdict on the 60th Anniversary R9s? Did they nail it?

I did not buy one all my money got spent in 2015 on True Historic. You know it was the most accurate reproduction ever made ����. The 60th look AWESOME. I really like the Factory Burst.
    Some people call me old fashion - but fire scares me

Congrats on the new guitar.

The good news is that the recent Historics are by most accounts stellar and the 2019s continue that trend.

“Positive” changes for 2019 include unpotted custombuckers, vintage taper pots, and Luxe bees capacitors. On the “downside”, Bolivian Rosewood is not a true Rosewood. Whether this makes a difference tonally, I really can’t say, but the name is quite misleading and sounds very close to that “grail” rosewood Brazilian. It should be noted that Gibson is also using Indian Rosewood which while still not Brazilian is at least a true Rosewood.

I’m not sure what “nailing it” implies but the closest Historic, spec wise, to an actual Burst would be the 2017/2018 Brazilians as these would be the first new hide glue production Les Pauls to have all three species of woods since 1960. (Unpotted boutique PAFs, vintage taper pots and Luxe bees are an easy mod that can be added to any Les Paul).

At the end of the day, it cannot be overstated that every guitar is tonally unique. Trying to judge them by year of manufacture is a bit specious. That said, the 2019s I’ve played were very good, as were the 2018s. So, without reiterating what Tom Petty said about waiting, I would say the chances are very high you end up with a helluva good sounding and playing Les Paul.

Les Paul Forum Member

I agree Gibson Custom is flying high and mighty proud of the excellent guitars they are producing . I myself have purchased the new Brazilians 2018 R9's and can testify to there greatness first hand . One nagging question I have is who gets the credit for the smaller profile more accurate "Carmelita" profile 59 neck ? I wish they had left the more larger profile neck , here is why . I love the 59 Custom Shop Les Paul's because of there more fancy tops . While the 58 has the bigger neck , the 59 has the prettier tops. I wish they left the bigger profile neck on the 59 R9's.

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I agree Gibson Custom is flying high and mighty proud of the excellent guitars they are producing . I myself have purchased the new Brazilians 2018 R9's and can testify to there greatness first hand . One nagging question I have is who gets the credit for the smaller profile more accurate "Carmelita" profile 59 neck ? I wish they had left the more larger profile neck , here is why . I love the 59 Custom Shop Les Paul's because of there more fancy tops . While the 58 has the bigger neck , the 59 has the prettier tops. I wish they left the bigger profile neck on the 59 R9's.
    +1

thanks guys for your input.

I have been without a historic Les Paul for a while now, almost 5 years, and about 8 years without a really good one. The really good one was the 2007 R9 that's still my avatar here, and boy am I missing this guitar. All the others I let go and later replaced over the years I can live without but that one felt special to me.
    But sometimes you have to do what you have to do to pay child support, rent and all of that.
    A few years later I bought a '96 R7 custom which I thought was pretty good. Until I tried an amp that I was going to buy and the guy suddenly brought his limited edition Perry burst. And man, that thing just exploded with tone, sooo snappy and responsive. Crazy.

So that's where I'm coming from.

The specs of the 60th anniversary read incredible on paper. Like they ticked all the boxes. The biggest ones for me might be the hide glue, neck angle and the nice, old looking tops. I always swapped the pickups for something closer to a PAF and the pots and caps to vintage specs CTS and various paper in oil.

Judging from the photos it looks like they finally got the plastic right (or at least in the ball park), and I love the aged inlays and Gibson logo.
    I'm not convinced the pickup covers have the correct shape: the edges look too round I think, but, that's going by photos so I can very well be wrong. If I'm not, I still have a set of old Throbak SLE-101 that I can pop in.

Anyways, I'm excited for this one, bought it from Marks Guitar Loft and his tone report has me eagerly awaiting the brown truck.

I'm not sure about the etiquette regarding re-posting photos someone else took, so I won't, but if you want to head on over, it's Item#523 and in my mind this is a dead ringer for "The Duke" 9 1982. I love those curly ribbon flames...
    (while you're there, check out Item#526, that one looks incredible as well!)
    Last edited by philip_m; 10-22-19 at 04:48 AM.

let's try that again

Mine are glued. I don't want one that's nailed.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Gorgeous top. Play the shit out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    Gorgeous top. Play the shit out of it.
    Check his NGD post. Lots of pictures, [enough to moisten Ren], it is beautimous!

Ren is positively damp with this beasty!
    W
    hat a beautiful machine of destruction.
    Civil
    izations will be destroyed in it's wake and thousands of ships launched to find it.
    I a
    m looking for my damned oars as we type.
    Wh
    ich is not easy to do, damn these manually inputted charged electrons!
    TO THE SHIPS BOYS!

Where do you live phillp_m????

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Ren is positively damp with this beasty!
    W
    hat a beautiful machine of destruction.
    Civil
    izations will be destroyed in it's wake and thousands of ships launched to find it.
    I a
    m looking for my damned oars as we type.
    Wh
    ich is not easy to do, damn these manually inputted charged electrons!
    TO THE SHIPS BOYS!

Where do you live phillp_m????

thanks Ren! I moved house on the weekend, hence the late reply.
    I live in Wellington, New Zealand.

So, what are you rendering?

Originally 3d matrices with texture maps in the 80's and 90's.

Then cutters driven by said matrices with the addition of stepper motors after the turn of the century.

Then nozzles and lasers aimed at piles of shit.

Now mostly pork and beef drippins'...

Originally 3d matrices with texture maps in the 80's and 90's.

Then cutters driven by said matrices with the addition of stepper motors after the turn of the century.

Then nozzles and lasers aimed at piles of shit.

Now mostly pork and beef drippins'...
    So you were there in the pioneer days. Sweet! Anything I might have seen?

Probably not directly but part of it is very much in one of the more prevalent OS's today. But I probably could never prove it.

Les Paul Forum Member

My answer to the question: Yes, they nailed it.

They really started nailing it with the 2018 models, IMO. I slightly prefer the '18 potted pickups because I play high gain stuff sometimes, but the new unpotted pickups have some of the best bridge pickup tone I've ever heard. I find the neck pickup to be a bit too dark, but it's easy enough to replace (when I get around to it). One other thing the 2019s have over older models is the tone and volume pots are so much more usable than they were before, no question. And overall I love the feel of the 60ths... the neck is super comfy to me... and both of mine play like butter. Bends are effortless. So while I wish they potted the pickups, I totally understand why they didn't... and I am very happy with both of mine.

I'll be in Wellington celebrating my mum's 90th in a fortnight! Kiwis cannot fly but they sure get around- enjoy your new guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi burst View Post
    I'll be in Wellington celebrating my mum's 90th in a fortnight! Kiwis cannot fly but they sure get around- enjoy your new guitar.

What on earth are you referring to kiwi burst in the first part of this post???? apart from 'enjoy your new guitar' I can't see the relevance.
    Care to explain and then we'll all know..........thanks.

OP is in Wellington and I'll be visiting my home town (Wellington)- just saying- beautiful guitar .

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi burst View Post
    OP is in Wellington and I'll be visiting my home town (Wellington)- just saying- beautiful guitar .
    Yep well you're right........... and I didn't check the details of the OP at all........sorry for the inquisition matey.
    A very beautacious R9 that one is too

The Historic chase true or not will go on forever and continue as there are only the real thing and we all know that.

Close but no cigar here!
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

I think they did great. I had been itching to get a Really Good Guitar for about six years but whenever I tried a few CS jobs out at the Hollywood Guitar Center, I thought 'pretty good' but never 'I gotta have this'.
    In January this year, I visited Gibson at the NAMM show in Anaheim. They were making a big show of how they were doing just fine despite the bankruptcy and all the other financial problems. They had some CS Les Pauls on the wall that you could take down and play. There was one beautiful R9 there that I didn't want to put back, 'I gotta have this'. I even asked the rep there if I could buy that exact one. He told me it was already spoken for but that they are all made that way now, 'we listen very carefully to what you guys want'. What I got from my visit was that they were really pulling out all the stops to make guitars you just couldn't say no to, to prove that Gibson's not going anywhere despite what has been going around on the internet.
    Cut to March, my birthday month. A surprise check came in from a SAG-AFTRA fund I didn't even know I was part of, just about what I could buy a 60th Anniversary with. So I called around and the 2019 Custom Shop Les Pauls the stores had ordered in January were just hitting the stores that week and they were selling fast. On Sunset Boulevard, Sam Ash and Guitar Center are across the street from each other; I was able to try out 7 Custom Shop Les Pauls in two hours. They were all really good and I narrowed it down to three that I tried over and over again in a round robin until it became clear there was one I didn't want to let go of. Especially because another guy was there doing the same thing I was - I didn't want him to get "mine", I gotta have this. It was light, extremely resonant, sounded beautiful unplugged, neck felt great, finish colors were really subtle and good, the pickups were brighter than I expected and unpotted -- slightly microphonic, true to 1959... it even had a quirk - I like idiosyncrasies on a guitar - technically a defect but I liked it then and I like it now. The high E string 'zings' when you start to play above the 10th fret. The adjusting screw for that string's bridge saddle sits too high on the bridge and when the string gets close enough, it makes a zing sound that I like very much and I use it. It's actually a manufacturing defect of the bridge assembly and I'm sure if they had caught it at the factory, they would have replaced the bridge, I'm thankful they did not. I have never owned a real '59 but I have held, played and even borrowed plenty of 50's Les Pauls and 335s over the years, you used to be able to do that before they were worth as much as an apartment building. The 7 CS guitars I tried out in March were all as good as anything I ever played. The same day I also tried out 4 standard production Les Pauls to see if there was that much of a difference. Yes there is.

There are some details about how the guitar is presented that I don't like but they are just me and how I am. I don't like the weird vanilla smell they add to the lacquer. That's not what lacquer smells like. Lacquer smells like nail polish, like banana oil. This smells like a scented gift candle for a girlfriend - boo. The case, yeah I get that it's a fun little time capsule fantasy to have a Lifton case that is even printed to look old and worn, but even the factory had to pack it with foam wedges to protect the guitar in transit. I could do without that and would be perfectly happy with the TKL case that the rest of the series gets; it's a better case. And the fake aging turns me off. It's 'lightly' aged but I just can't get with the rusted screws, tarnished pickup covers and other metal surfaces. It appears that for patina, they just left out the final polishing stage for the finish. That's OK, I'll have it polished up to the level I like after a few string changes and cleanings. But the guitar itself - the wood, the electronics, the neck, the frets, the feel, the sound... it IS a great guitar, a keeper.

I'd be interested to see what you think about yours -- similar thoughts? Disagree with my taste? Did yours arrive yet? What do you think?
    Last edited by NotJeffBeck; 11-10-19 at 04:49 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Another “kiwi” here...my ‘19 is fantastic.

cr4hpVD_d.jpg

meh, that’s tiny. I’ll try again non phone later
    Otherwise known as Grant.

The tops on originals were glued with Phenol-Formaldehyde Resin. NOT hide glue.

Les Paul Forum Member Gold Tone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KDunn99 View Post
    The tops on originals were glued with Phenol-Formaldehyde Resin. NOT hide glue.
    Though hide glue is not historically correct itís a perfect facsimile as it dries glass hard like P-F resin. The key change was moving away from titebond as it doesnít cure the same way and remains a rubbery sound dampener

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Tone View Post
    Though hide glue is not historically correct itís a perfect facsimile as it dries glass hard like P-F resin. The key change was moving away from titebond as it doesnít cure the same way and remains a rubbery sound dampener
    They are not the same.
    The rubber tone damper thing has never proven true and all evidence points to the opposite. It is an article of blind faith regurgitated by true believers because it seems true to the congregation.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    They are not the same.
    The rubber tone damper thing has never proven true and all evidence points to the opposite. It is an article of blind faith regurgitated by true believers because it seems true to the congregation.
    I found this article about hide glue / fish glue and aliphatic resin glue such as Titebond:
    http://esomogyi.com/titebond-vs-hide-glue/
    The author points out that it is white PVC "Elmer's" glue that doesn't ever really get crispy hard, that might be how squeeze bottle glue got its reputation for being too rubbery for luthier work.
    And Titebond has introduced hide glue too, but it's a new type that doesn't require heating:
    http://www.titebond.com/product/glue...4-c47daa20f8ed

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    They are not the same.
    Hereís Al! Lol

Itís not been disproven fella

Itís the same thing folks...titebond is not, itís rubber.

Regurgitated truth right here.

Les Paul Forum Member MeHereNow's Avatar

I have my trusty bourbonburst 2009 R8 aka "Brock" for over 10 years, played it for over 10 years, in heat/cold/dry/damp/, you name it enviroments.
    It's still in 1 piece, sustains like a maniac unplugged as well as plugged in from day 1.
    I removed some glue gobs in the neck PU cavity at the tenon.. those glue gobs where hard, reeeeaaaal hard, far from "rubbery".
    Now.. my dark bourbon fade 2018 R8 aka "Willem" is a fully hide glue construction and get's the most attention for the last year i've owned it.
    Mostly because i gifted "Brock" to my 10 yo son to provide him with a GOOD guitar now that he's starting to play.
    But guess what?
    i've played "Willem" intensivly since i got him (26th september 2018) in heat/cold/dry/damp/, you name it enviroments.
    It's still in 1 piece, sustains like a maniac unplugged as well as plugged in from day 1.

So what's the difference in hide glue constructed guitars vs Titebond?

Squat..

They both glue.. it's glue! that's the only purpose they fullfil!
    Theyre not tone-enhancers/dampers, they need to keep 2 pieces of wood together, and they BOTH do a fine job at it.
    Get my money, buy my medicine...

Hereís Al! Lol

Itís not been disproven fella

Itís the same thing folks...titebond is not, itís rubber.

Regurgitated truth right here.
    Hmm.

Collings uses titebond.

I guess I'll have to throw out all mine.

Not.

Hmm.

Collings uses titebond.

I guess I'll have to throw out all mine.

Not.
    Why would you take from a comment that two glues are different that your guitars are worthless? Your post is very bizzare...

Much the same as the previous poster to you...are you gents looking for issues in your instruments that don’t exist. I’ll happily take them from you and give them the respect they deserve

The key change was moving away from titebond as it doesnít cure the same way and remains a rubbery sound dampener

It's not a "rubbery sound dampener" it's a glue that dries up hard as nails

Why would you take from a comment that two glues are different that your guitars are worthless? Your post is very bizzare...
    Because you stated titebond is a "rubbery sound dampener" in which therefore you implie that guitars glued with titebond are to be seen as toneless instruments.
    If you did'nt implie that and did'nt want people to interpret that they are, then i wonder what that comment DID aplie to.

Much the same as the previous poster to you...are you gents looking for issues in your instruments that donít exist. Iíll happily take them from you and give them the respect they deserve
    We don't have issues with our instruments.
    I typed earlier :"I have my trusty bourbonburst 2009 R8 aka "Brock" for over 10 years, played it for over 10 years, in heat/cold/dry/damp/, you name it enviroments.

Brock is a 2009 fully Titebond glued guitar.

"Now.. my dark bourbon fade 2018 R8 aka "Willem" is a fully hide glue construction and get's the most attention for the last year i've owned it.
    i've played "Willem" intensivly since i got him (26th september 2018) in heat/cold/dry/damp/, you name it enviroments.
    "

We are fine with our instruments and love them.
    YOU seem to make an issue that does'nt exist about our instruments beeing not up to par as they are titebond construction.

Closing: what is that line

Iíll happily take them from you and give them the respect they deserve
    about?

"You'll happilly take.." ?

First, the only thing you'll get from me is a few lines of text in a forum.

Secondly, you won't be "happily" .. they are guitars with titebond.. titebond is boo, rubbery, tonedampening as you keep stating.
    Now, that's guitars you don't want right?

And last, .. how do you even have the nerve to implie we don't respect our beloved guitars?
    I bought "Brock" august 12th 2009, ring a bell that date?
    My first historic i could afford after selling all others guitars i owned.
    coincidence maybe, but that guitar was meant to be mine on that day.
    A month later my oldest son was born.
    2 things short after another that are very, VERY precious to me.
    Brock saw countless stages, countries, played every genre possible and i know every ding, dent, scratch wearmark on it.. because I made it.
    I'm not materialistic in any way, but that guitar is my most precious material thing i own..
    It will never leave this family.
    And it doesnt.. i gifted it to my 10 yo son on his birthday last september.

It will continue to have dents, sctratches etc because he will play it from now on and because it's a superbly good example of how a Les Paul should look, sound and play.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHereNow View Post
    It's not a "rubbery sound dampener" it's a glue that dries up hard as nails
    [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Because you stated titebond is a "rubbery sound dampener" in which therefore you implie that guitars glued with titebond are to be seen as toneless instruments.
    If you did'nt implie that and did'nt want people to interpret that they are, then i wonder what that comment DID aplie to.

We don't have issues with our instruments.
    I typed earlier :"I have my trusty bourbonburst 2009 R8 aka "Brock" for over 10 years, played it for over 10 years, in heat/cold/dry/damp/, you name it enviroments.

Brock is a 2009 fully Titebond glued guitar.

"Now.. my dark bourbon fade 2018 R8 aka "Willem" is a fully hide glue construction and get's the most attention for the last year i've owned it.
    "

We are fine with our instruments and love them.
    YOU seem to make an issue that does'nt exist about our instruments beeing not up to par as they are titebond construction.

Closing: what is that line

about?

"You'll happilly take.." ?

First, the only thing you'll get from me is a few lines of text in a forum.

Secondly, you won't be "happily" .. they are guitars with titebond.. titebond is boo, rubbery, tonedampening as you keep stating.
    Now, that's guitars you don't want right?

And last, .. how do you even have the nerve to implie we don't respect our beloved guitars?
    I bought "Brock" august 12th 2009, ring a bell that date?
    My first historic i could afford after selling all others guitars i owned.
    coincidence maybe, but that guitar was meant to be mine on that day.
    A month later my oldest son was born.
    2 things short after another that are very, VERY precious to me.
    Brock saw countless stages, countries, played every genre possible and i know every ding, dent, scratch wearmark on it.. because I made it.
    I'm not materialistic in any way, but that guitar is my most precious material thing i own..
    It will never leave this family.
    And it doesnt.. i gifted it to my 10 yo son on his birthday last september.

It will continue to have dents, sctratches etc because he will play it from now on and because it's a superbly good example of how a Les Paul should look, sound and play.

Sucks when people read into something you wrote incorrectly doesnít it?

Sucks when people read into something you wrote incorrectly doesnít it?

It's as you say, bizarre..

But spelled correctly.

Guys -- did anybody take a look at that link?
    http://esomogyi.com/titebond-vs-hide-glue/

Titebond dries hard. The 'rubbery' association seems to have come from the older, white PVA "Elmer's" glue that did set up to a bendy, flexible, 'rubbery'? condition.
    The biggest difference to a repairman or luthier, between hide glue and titebond is that it's very easy to get hide glue joints to separate cleanly. Titebond soaks into the wood grain and there is always some degree of splitting when titebond joints are separated.