• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why No Guitars Made With Cherry Wood?

PaulLaRue

Not sure where to post this, there is no Luthier / Build area?
I am wondering why I do not see Guitars [electric & acoustic] built with Cherry wood.
It has long been a beautiful furniture wood.
A hard wood very similar to maple that darkens with age.

Some may reply with "it's not a tone wood" but guitars are made with junk wood today and sound great.
Fender is even making Tele's from pine !

So whats the deal with cherry?

*I know, ask Bob Taylor right?

Dave P

A friend of mine built a set neck guitar out of lightweight cherry. It actually was pretty nice.

PaulLaRue

Seems like a fine choice to me?
Looks very similar to maple so non figured maple is probably less expensive?
And finding flamed cherry is very rare.
Maybe heavier than maple & mahogany too?

mattnew33

Cherry wood makes great furniture... I think part of it is if your up on stage you don't really want to be holding something that reminds you of your underwear drawer at home...:hmm then again that could be made of mahogany too.....

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Ed Roman.

Hahahaha....

I went to his joint.

In the big dry ditch of Las Vegas.

Many moons ago.

Saw a homeless dude taking a dump in the parking lot.

I gave him 5 dollars.

Did Ed Roman thank you for the Five?

Cherry trees are small. That's probably the biggest obstacle to their being used more for guitars.

Texas Blues

Did Ed Roman thank you for the Five?

Hahahaha...

If it had actually been Ed.

He'd have told me how his poop was better poop.

And worth way more than 5 bucks.

Truth is.

I was in Vegas when the recession hit.

A lot of folks that worked and did business there during the recession.

Lost their ass.

I remember when Ed's joint just off of Trop and Industrial closed.

I felt bad for the guy.

His business.

And everyone that worked there.

A damn shame really.

musekatcher

American Black Cherry is a good wood for lots of stuff. Its not as available as Maple, and it is harder to cut, carve, or sand. It does work well though, with the extra effort. For production, I'd say the availability and tool wear constitute higher costs.

guitplayer

I made some display cases out of figured cherry. Its hard to find. I only
had a small piece to work with. Its was that curly/cat eye figure you see in some guitars.
Yes, very hard. I ended up using a wood conditioner on it. To do a guitar top might take
3pieces.

PaulLaRue

Yes, I agree with the 3 piece top problem. I have seen some cherry that was so beautiful.
I have years of wood working experience and only a few times worked with cherry. I found it similar to maple in many ways.
I see no reason not to try it for neck material?
Again, weight may be a factor?

RNELEE

Seagull/Godin makes Cherry Wood guitars. Mine is an entry level S6 model about 20 years old. I think they still make them. The bodies are Cherry laminate and the top can be either Spruce or Cedar. Cedar being the more common wood.

marshall1987

I would venture a guess that most seasoned guitar players prefer instruments constructed from traditional tone woods.

elzb265

Banned
Hey ya'll
Happy Halloween.
Is cherry wood soft? why no guitars using cherry wood?
what is the drawback in cherry wood?

Big Al

Quite simply there is no large Cherry Timber market. Where are the Cherry Forests? Large guitar manufactures need plentiful stocks of instrument grade wood of correct dimensions. Small builders can hunt out the few available for their limited output.

So is every furniture wood now going to be the new what if, or why not? Where are all the Pecan guitars? Maybe just any wood? Truth is if anyone needs such things, small independent builders are the way to go. :hmm:hmm

marshall1987

Gibson did a run of "Firebrand" Les Pauls back in 1978-1982 that were constructed from walnut as I recall. These guitars were moderately successful with budget-minded buyers. And some of them had ebony fingerboards. I don't have any direct experience with the tone and sound these guitars produced.

Big Al

Gibson did a run of "Firebrand" Les Pauls back in 1978-1982 that were constructed from walnut as I recall. These guitars were moderately successful with budget-minded buyers. And some of them had ebony fingerboards. I don't have any direct experience with the tone and sound these guitars produced.

IIRC the Firebrands were mahogany, but I think you mean "The Paul", as well as The SG and 335S all solid Black Walnut w/ ebony boards. They sold like ice cream in summer and sound great. Problem is in getting the walnut.

Gibson has had two multi model alternate wood Studio series. I thought they were cool as hell, but with a ridgid, conservative, don't you dare change wood type, customer types, having heart failure over rosewood species and same species, different locality timber strokes, they never stood a chance.

Bob Womack

My mom just sent me home with this lovely little cherry Queen Anne secretary made in Jamestown, NY, in the late '40s. It was in our living room the entire time I was growing up. It is about four feet tall.

sec.jpg

It was considered a pretty nice piece of work for the time, but there are interesting details. The drawer fronts are single-piece but the fold-down desktop is pieced together, as are the sides. Look at the size of the component slabs to get an idea of what sized stock was available, even then.

Bob