• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Would you buy a Gibson with a repaired headstock?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So this is good feedback... All good points, :) I guess I gotta get some references and move the wood shop outta the basement. :)

G.I.Paul is kind of like Keith Richards. It will be around forever, I think. :ganz

Don

Years ago, I paid $200 for an early '90s Studio with a repaired headstock. It was a great guitar! I mainly sold it because it stunk of the previous owner's cigarettes and cologne, and so did my hands after playing it! :dang Otherwise, it was a great guitar.

cincyguitar

Heck no!...I almost bought an epiphone with a bad repair...well maybe if it had a repair that was barely visable...:dude:

MeHereNow

If it's repaired properly, yes

fender-les-paul-standard.thumbnail.jpg

:hee

Stephens

Yes- that is how I scored my 01 R9. Repair was done right and it sounds amazing. And, the seller knew how to price it based on the repair.

I also picked up a new Epiphone 1962 Sheraton reissue at GC that had a headstock break. Another screaming deal. Good deals to be had if the repair is solid and the price is right.

mattnew33

Yes- that is how I scored my 01 R9. Repair was done right and it sounds amazing. And, the seller knew how to price it based on the repair.

I also picked up a new Epiphone 1962 Sheraton reissue at GC that had a headstock break. Another screaming deal. Good deals to be had if the repair is solid and the price is right.

Would you care to give some details? ( $$'s )... they can be approximate if you don't want to share. With the wide range of what I see R9 historics going for.. this seems difficult to me.

There was a 2018 True Historic R9 on ebay last week, sold for just over $2k ( unrepaired headstock break, but a bad one.. )....I was tempted but don't think you'd be able to get more than $2200-$2300 for it once repaired, and if I'd bid it most certainly would have gone higher than that.

Dave P

Yes, I have owned a few with headstock repairs. Just have to make sure it is a solid repair, and pay close attention how it was broken. If it was a long break with a lot of surface area for gluing behind the headstock and tuners, they hold up well. The breaks that are straight across down by the nut, those are bad breaks I usually avoid.

jrgtr42

Sure I'd buy one...
If it's priced right -
if it's a good repair,
if I can see it and play it before pulling the trigger (this goes for almost any guitar - repair or not)
if the tech / luthier will stand behind his / her work.

Stephens

Would you care to give some details? ( $$'s )... they can be approximate if you don't want to share. With the wide range of what I see R9 historics going for.. this seems difficult to me.

There was a 2018 True Historic R9 on ebay last week, sold for just over $2k ( unrepaired headstock break, but a bad one.. )....I was tempted but don't think you'd be able to get more than $2200-$2300 for it once repaired, and if I'd bid it most certainly would have gone higher than that.

Yeah, no problem at all. I think I paid either $2,000 or $2,200. I know I had talked him down from $2,400.

Best of luck to you on your search!

El Gringo

Never , as there are plenty of them out there without any defects .

El Gringo

I have owned six headstock repairs over the first twenty years of playing . I have not look at one or played one & have no interest in owning one in the past 20+ years of playing then & going forward .

Disclaimer : My wife broke the headstock on my Rich Robinson #494 the following day I walk out of the local Gibson dealer with a new ES 345 leaving the broke guitar behind .

Disclaimer #2 : Some on this Forum will serve up the KOOL- AID a REPAIRED headstock has better sound - tone this is FOOLS BS !!!!~!!!!

Exactly , because once the headstock is broken it alters the playability of the instrument .

El Gringo

If I'm looking on the internet and it's listed with the more common than not "no return" policy, i wont even consider them.

The only way I'd consider it would be if the top was great, the price is correct, and I have to chance to send it back if it's not right.

It's a buyers market right now and with so many great lp's for sale for decent money why take a chance on a possible problem. The discount needs to be serious money for me to even look at it.

A very smart and thoughtful reply that I agree with 100% , and it truly is a buyers market and a great time for more Les Paul's !

El Gringo

When I am buying a vintage instrument I want a dead mint 100% original instrument , including untouched solder joints . To think of wasting money on a broken/repaired headstock for me would be throwing my Drachmas away and a terribile waste of money .

deytookerjaabs

It's like all I buy.

I've broken two on accident, so I know better than to lose all that money on my end.