• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Would you buy a Gibson with a repaired headstock?

mattnew33

Yes? No?

I love repairing Gibsons... I find them fairly regularly on ebay for fairly cheap when damaged..... I have a hell of a time finding them new homes afterwards. Just curious. I do understand that I'm a "nobody" when it comes to the world of guitar repair and that may play into it... but I'm pretty good at it, had a lot of practice... I just have trouble moving them on afterwards... even for cheap money.

not going to turn this into a for sale thread, just really interested in hearing peoples opinions.

gakees

The assumption is your price is realistically reflective of the repair. With that being the case, then, yes I would.

AA00475Bassman

I have owned six headstock repairs over the first twenty years of playing . I have not look at one or played one & have no interest in owning one in the past 20+ years of playing then & going forward .

Disclaimer : My wife broke the headstock on my Rich Robinson #494 the following day I walk out of the local Gibson dealer with a new ES 345 leaving the broke guitar behind .

Disclaimer #2 : Some on this Forum will serve up the KOOL- AID a REPAIRED headstock has better sound - tone this is FOOLS BS !!!!~!!!!

Thundermtn

If I'm looking on the internet and it's listed with the more common than not "no return" policy, i wont even consider them.

The only way I'd consider it would be if the top was great, the price is correct, and I have to chance to send it back if it's not right.

It's a buyers market right now and with so many great lp's for sale for decent money why take a chance on a possible problem. The discount needs to be serious money for me to even look at it.

mattnew33

Picture if you will.

A noob to this forum.

They read your post.

And then.

They see your avatar.

:laugh2:

I'd kill to find a guitar that clean, not sure what you mean by that..... :rofl:rofl I was a forum member a looooong time ago and remember the story of that goldtop....its a cool guitar to be sure.

Some good points... for price I usually try to pick them up under 1/3-1/2 the cost of buying them without break issues, then for if/when I'm selling I usually shoot for +10%... I wonder though if the vintage market might be a bit different than the newer markets... for example if you can pick up a clean 2012 LP standard for ~$2500ish, or a repaired headstock Standard for $1200-$1500... even I'd admit I might consider the extra outlay of $1k cash might be worth avoiding the possible hassle... Its not quite the same as a $15k repaired neck vs $30k "much cleaner" vintage goldtop... ( my prices on the vintage market may be way off here... I'm not in it nor do I plan to be ).

Good point on wanting to see/play in person. Even I balk at repaired necks if I'm buying and paying shipping...

something to think about I guess...

mattnew33

If I'm looking on the internet and it's listed with the more common than not "no return" policy, i wont even consider them.

The only way I'd consider it would be if the top was great, the price is correct, and I have to chance to send it back if it's not right.

It's a buyers market right now and with so many great lp's for sale for decent money why take a chance on a possible problem. The discount needs to be serious money for me to even look at it.

Good points, if the repairer doesn't want to stand behind their work I can imagine people not being interested. Its not like we are talking $25 bucks and if its a stinker then you aren't out much, we are talking a lot of money with most....

musekatcher

I've had them repaired, bought them already repaired, and wouldn't hesitate in the future, but I expect a large discount on the value.

zacknorton

I’ve purchased 2 with repaired cracks and one with an un-repaired crack.

Low priced. Good guitars

Texas Blues

I'd kill to find a guitar that clean, not sure what you mean by that..... :rofl:rofl I was a forum member a looooong time ago and remember the story of that goldtop....its a cool guitar to be sure.

Some good points... for price I usually try to pick them up under 1/3-1/2 the cost of buying them without break issues, then for if/when I'm selling I usually shoot for +10%... I wonder though if the vintage market might be a bit different than the newer markets... for example if you can pick up a clean 2012 LP standard for ~$2500ish, or a repaired headstock Standard for $1200-$1500... even I'd admit I might consider the extra outlay of $1k cash might be worth avoiding the possible hassle... Its not quite the same as a $15k repaired neck vs $30k "much cleaner" vintage goldtop... ( my prices on the vintage market may be way off here... I'm not in it nor do I plan to be ).

Good point on wanting to see/play in person. Even I balk at repaired necks if I'm buying and paying shipping...

something to think about I guess...

That was a joke for TW.

Tom is a rock on this forum.

And has forgotten more about Les Paul's.

Than I'll ever know.

His reputation here is of the highest standard.

Unlike mine.

I'm just some guy.

That likes and plays Les Pauls.

And sometimes.

Posts stupid sheeit.

marshall1987

Clearly this isn't a question you can answer with a yes, or no. :dang

Having said that, sure, I'd consider purchasing a guitar with a repaired headstock. However there are a few concerns I would want to look at before the purchase/trade is finalized. At a minimum the following information would be necessary:

1. Does the seller's price reasonably account for the damage and subsequent repair? I would expect anywhere from 25-30% off for expensive 1950s and early 1960s vintage Gibsons (e.g., 1956-1960 Les Paul Standards), and as high as 50% off or more for recent factory production guitars.

2. What is the extent of damage to the headstock? How did the break occur? Is it a relatively clean "smiley" crack that does not go all the way through the headstock? Or at the other extreme, was the headstock broken all the way through to the holly veneer, leaving substantial damaged wood requiring grafts, dowels, scarf joint, etc.

3. Who did the repair? Was it performed by a skilled and experienced guitar repairman with a solid reputation? Or was the repair accomplished by a semi-skilled basement guitar guy with no references?

4. Is there a dated and signed shop invoice included with the guitar that documents the repair?

5. Is there a return policy to protect the buyer if purchased unseen over the phone or online? In this case, complete photo documentation is essential.

zoommutt

Come on Texas Blues! Just some guy? JUST SOME GUY??? You sir are one of the funny bones of this forum.

mattnew33

That was a joke for TW.

Than I'll ever know.

Unlike mine.

I'm just some guy.

And sometimes.

Posts stupid sheeit.

I know.... my handle says I'm new, but I've been here since around 2002 or so. I had left for a while when I'd sold my last les paul, then came back in 2016 when I got another... only I couldn't find a way to ressurect my old handle...lots has changed... TW and that goldtop are still here though :) Thanks

mattnew33

Clearly this isn't a question you can answer with a yes, or no. :dang

Having said that, sure, I'd consider purchasing a guitar with a repaired headstock. However there are a few concerns I would want to look at before the purchase/trade is finalized. At a minimum the following information would be necessary:

1. Does the seller's price reasonably account for the damage and subsequent repair? I would expect anywhere from 25-30% off for expensive 1950s and early 1960s vintage Gibsons (e.g., 1956-1960 Les Paul Standards), and as high as 50% off or more for recent factory production guitars.

2. What is the extent of damage to the headstock? How did the break occur? Is it a relatively clean "smiley" crack that does not go all the way through the headstock? Or at the other extreme, was the headstock broken all the way through to the holly veneer, leaving substantial damaged wood requiring grafts, dowels, scarf joint, etc.

3. Who did the repair? Was it performed by a skilled and experienced guitar repairman with a solid reputation? Or was the repair accomplished by a semi-skilled basement guitar guy with no references?

4. Is there a dated and signed shop invoice included with the guitar that documents the repair?

5. Is there a return policy to protect the buyer if purchased unseen over the phone or online? In this case, complete photo documentation is essential.

So this is good feedback... All good points, :) I guess I gotta get some references and move the wood shop outta the basement. :)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
That was a joke for TW.

Than I'll ever know.

Unlike mine.

I'm just some guy.

And sometimes.

Posts stupid sheeit.

At the rate I'm going, I will know nothing long before I die. :##