• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

56 Goldtop with Cornell Dubilier capacitors?

MonkeyBunch

I need some 50’s Les Paul electronics expertise. I just purchased a vintage 1956 gold top Les Paul. It appears to be completely untampered with. It has Cornell Dubilier capacitors in it. Could these be correct. They are white paper cylinders. I don’t recall seeing these before. Has anybody encountered these in a 56 Les Paul? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MonkeyBunch

Do the white paper caps have green printing? (ASTRON)
By

Thanks for your reply. No the printing is black. They are not Astron’s although I just found a picture of Tom Wittrocks 60 burst with original Astrons. I Googled it and found a guy a while back was asking the same question as me but the only response was Tom showing a picture of his 60 with the Astron’s. I posted a picture on My Les Paul forum But was unable to post one on this Forum. Check it out under vintage Les Pauls. Like I said I have seen all kinds of anomalies. When companies ran out of parts they went down to the local electronic store and bought whatever was there. Have you seen these in a 50’s Les Paul?

MonkeyBunch

Tom Whittrock where are you? Have you seen these caps before? Guitar is stock 100%. Untouched solder. I just haven’t run across this variety of Cornell Dubilier caps that I can recall. Perfect values too .02 mfd 400 volts. Thanks. Oh boy I just figured out how to load a pic. Sorry for the small size but click on it twice to enlarge. Ha ha!

Attachments

• BA8FACFB-46BD-48A8-9DEA-86570ED38D67.jpg
    BA8FACFB-46BD-48A8-9DEA-86570ED38D67.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom Whittrock where are you? Have you seen these caps before? Guitar is stock 100%. Untouched solder. I just haven’t run across this variety of Cornell Dubilier caps that I can recall. Perfect values too .02 mfd 400 volts. Thanks. Oh boy I just figured out how to load a pic. Sorry for the small size but click on it twice to enlarge. Ha ha!

Well, I'm no expert on these things. But they look okay to me. :)

MonkeyBunch

Well, I'm no expert on these things. But they look okay to me. :)

Thanks Tom! Yeah I’m learning Cornell Dubilier is one of the manufacturers that Gibson used to supply the so-called gray tiger capacitors they used in 50s gold tops along with Sprague, Astron later on etc. I’m sure there are other variations. Most of the Grey Tigers are wax covered. These aren’t. They look similar to the Astron‘s in your 60 Burst. I’ve seen so many variations and anomalies in vintage guitars I’m never surprised at anything these companies did. When they ran out of parts they went to the local electronics store and bought whatever was there. Again Thanks.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
When companies ran out of parts they went down to the local electronic store and bought whatever was there.

I think Gibson used some of the same capacitors in their amps, so their own amp department was a close place to look for caps quickly. :)

MonkeyBunch

I think Gibson used some of the same capacitors in their amps, so their own amp department was a close place to look for caps quickly. :)

Yes sir they did. I’ve never seen these particular caps In a les Paul but then again nobody’s seen everything. I’m hoping somebody will chime in that has seen them besides me. Fun stuff even for old jaded guys like me. Actually these caps aren’t really much different from the waxed grey tigers you usually see, they just don’t have the wax. And Gibson used Cornell Dubilier Grey Tigers from time to time. Anyway nice chatting with you Tom and thanks for your input. I haven’t been on the Forum much in a while. I thought I was sorta on hiatus from vintage guitars after 10 years managing Norman’s Rare Guitars and other vintage shops in LA. That and the new reissue stuff is so good. But I guess the hiatus is over after purchasing this 56 Paul. I’m back in now. The vintage magic is alive and well! Thanks Tom

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Yes sir they did. I’ve never seen these particular caps In a les Paul but then again nobody’s seen everything. I’m hoping somebody will chime in that has seen them besides me. Fun stuff even for old jaded guys like me. Actually these caps aren’t really much different from the waxed grey tigers you usually see, they just don’t have the wax. And Gibson used Cornell Dubilier Grey Tigers from time to time. Anyway nice chatting with you Tom and thanks for your input. I haven’t been on the Forum much in a while. I thought I was sorta on hiatus from vintage guitars after 10 years managing Norman’s Rare Guitars and other vintage shops in LA. That and the new reissue stuff is so good. But I guess the hiatus is over after purchasing this 56 Paul. I’m back in now. The vintage magic is alive and well! Thanks Tom

:salude :jim

MonkeyBunch

Jr's Farm

Ha ha! Wow great to know. Thanks for chiming in. Got any pics? Would Really appreciate seeing yours
Well that’s 3 guitars so far. Ha ha! Thanks so much!

I’m overseas until mid December. I carry an R9 and leave the vintage at home. But, I do remember going through the same process as you. I had never seen these before and it took some investigating until I was convinced they were original.

MonkeyBunch

I’m overseas until mid December. I carry an R9 and leave the vintage at home. But, I do remember going through the same process as you. I had never seen these before and it took some investigating until I was convinced they were original.

Thanks for your input. All the best!

MonkeyBunch

I’m trying to figure out how to post pics of the guitar. So far unsuccessfully. Ok well here’s some small ones. Click to enlarge I guess. Sorry I’m new at this. Ha ha!

Attachments

• F81357A1-FF1A-4895-BD34-3850753D2CE6.jpg
    F81357A1-FF1A-4895-BD34-3850753D2CE6.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 34
  • D378991A-E87F-43DF-90AD-D993BF27808C.jpg
    D378991A-E87F-43DF-90AD-D993BF27808C.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 32

MonkeyBunch

Nice one!! :dude:

Thanks Tom! I’ve owned a few of these but this is the best one I’ve run in to. Hard to find a bridge pickup in these that keeps up with the neck pickup. This one does. It’s been very well played but well taken care of and completely intact. And a smaller 59’ neck shape to boot. With original Stone/ Lifton brown case. Lightweight too at 8 lbs 4ozs. It’s no wonder why this one got played so much. It’s the Hallelujah Package. Ha ha! I’m digging it big time. Thanks again for your input, All the best!

Last edited:

renderit

I’m trying to figure out how to post pics of the guitar. So far unsuccessfully. Ok well here’s some small ones. Click to enlarge I guess. Sorry I’m new at this. Ha ha!

Damn! Now I have to hate you as well...

French Tigers and all.