The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Brand New LP Standard 50's, Binding crack?

Brought brand new, came in factory box...At the 16th fret, at the body neck joint...16thFret.jpg

Send it back?

Thanks
    Dano

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Re: Brand New LP Standard 50's, Binding crack?

Pretty normal.

Keep it.

And play the hell out of it.

Not the end of the world, but if it bugs you return it. You should be happy with a 2K investment.

WTF!?!

If you seriously have a problem with the guitar in that picture.... you’ll never be happy with anything.

Les Paul Forum Member

Eventually more will probably look like that. You got a little aging treatment for free. Not a big deal, if you like the guitar, play it

I agree with other posters. I would bother me for a few minutes, but I’d soon forget it and accept it as part of its character. To each their own though.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

I would play the guitar , nice Les Paul !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

It is not a binding crack. It is a lacquer edge from hand scraping finish in a difficult spot.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member mattnew33's Avatar

Binding cracks typically look like this... where the fret is putting a bit of pressure on the binding. Not sure what yours is, but I think I'd go by "Hows the guitar sound and play".... If it sounds awesome and plays well.... I don't think I'd care about the scuff there.. give it 10 minutes and you'll have added your own buckle rash to the back anyway...... but thats my .02.

No worries, rock that thing!

Les Paul Forum Member

My 50's in Heritage cherry has something similar on the neck binding, its not a deal breaker for me though, I think its a cracking guitar.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattnew33 View Post
    Binding cracks typically look like this... where the fret is putting a bit of pressure on the binding. Not sure what yours is, but I think I'd go by "Hows the guitar sound and play".... If it sounds awesome and plays well.... I don't think I'd care about the scuff there.. give it 10 minutes and you'll have added your own buckle rash to the back anyway...... but thats my .02.

Mine is 10 years old and it has no marks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunking101 View Post
    Mine is 10 years old and it has no marks on it.
    Take it out of the case and play the poor thing.

I agree.

Between the neck joint and the metal frets in a wood instrument with lacquer over plastic binding (there is a lot going on that the 16th fret! ) a lacquer crack is all but inevitable.

Nevermind that the photo needs to be several times actual size to even see the imperfection.

Les Paul Forum Member

The binding on one of my Les Paul's has a dozen cracks in a number of places around the body and a few on the neck binding, it freaked me out a bit, but many vintage guitars have these too, and, and over time it's just become a feature of the guitars character.
    It maybe the same expansion and contraction due to temperature change that causes finish checking, but what I see in your pic is no cause for concern IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    The binding on one of my Les Paul's has a dozen cracks in a number of places around the body and a few on the neck binding, it freaked me out a bit, but many vintage guitars have these too, and, and over time it's just become a feature of the guitars character.
    It maybe the same expansion and contraction due to temperature change that causes finish checking, but what I see in your pic is no cause for concern IMHO.
    Are you sure it's the binding that is cracked, and not the clear coat lacquer which is sprayed over the binding? Other than the common low humidty fret end cracks I can say I've rarely found cracked binding. When I have it's been on multibound guitars like Customs and always on decades old examples.

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Are you sure it's the binding that is cracked, and not the clear coat lacquer which is sprayed over the binding? Other than the common low humidty fret end cracks I can say I've rarely found cracked binding. When I have it's been on multibound guitars like Customs and always on decades old examples.
    Lacquer crack.

Binding crack.

Joe Bonamassa...

"Hold my beer."

If you want perfect, or as close to it as is possible, pick up a tokai.
    I have a Les paul 50s standard from 2019 and a 2010 tokai LS135.

The tokai is spec'ed as an R9. Build wise its as close to flawless as is possible.
    It feels tight, accurate, like nothing is any more than 1000th of an inch off and also feels like it comes from a line of consistency, like if i picked up any guitar made that day, it would be identical.
    The gibson feels a little more "hand made". I played 8+ on the day i purchased it and they all felt very different. Most were great, one felt very poor quality. I ended up with mine as it played better than any of the rest, for me at least.

That all said, the tokai feels up tight and i always have to fight to get anything nice out of it. The Gibson just sings. How much of that is in my head is anyones guess, but ill pick up the Gibson every time and the tokai doesnt come out of its case. I think the tokai pups are not as nice but thats a quick fix.

Long story short, if you want supreme accuracy and consistency and "perfection", go for a tokai or japanese produced high end guitar (edwars, bacchus etc, theyre all good).
    But for me, the right gibson still has something else that i have not found in the others.