• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Howard Roberts fusion circa 1980-1983 bound fretboard??

cabalaska

Wondering if anyone has information about this.... Most that I see online for sale and in pictures show these early year's models with an unbound fretboard, however there are pictures of Howard's personal guitar as well as Alex Lifeson's HRF that he bought before the Moving Pictures tour in 1981 "WITH" bound fretboards. I could understand if both of them had specially made guitars but I have never read interviews with either that say they had specially ordered/made models for them. Anyone have insight to this? Are there production models from those years with bound fretboards? I'd love to know and I'd love to have one with a bound fretboard if they're out there!

gnappi

Wondering if anyone has information about this.... Most that I see online for sale and in pictures show these early year's models with an unbound fretboard, however there are pictures of Howard's personal guitar as well as Alex Lifeson's HRF that he bought before the Moving Pictures tour in 1981 "WITH" bound fretboards. I could understand if both of them had specially made guitars but I have never read interviews with either that say they had specially ordered/made models for them. Anyone have insight to this? Are there production models from those years with bound fretboards? I'd love to know and I'd love to have one with a bound fretboard if they're out there!

Gibson does what they want it seems on a whim with changes in binding. My 93 HRF has neck binding, most earlier ones I've seen do not.

Another example of this is the ES-355. Through 1982 most / many (not all) had "F" hole binding. Re-issues did not. I don't get it :)