• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can an OD pedal be a MV?

Cliff Gress

Can an OD pedal act as a MV for a NMV Marshall? I was gifted a Way Huge Green Rhino and am considering Studio Vintage combo purchase.

If so, how would I set it up along with the amp volume?

Any tips would be appreciated

PaulD

Not as such, a master volume is typically a volume control that is in between the preamp and power amp stages of the amplifier, this enables you to turn up the gain on the preamp so that it distorts and then reduce the level of that distorted signal before it goes into the power amp stage. You get distortion from cranking the preamp valves while still being able to control the overall volume with the master volume. An overdrive pedal would certainly be able to give you distortion at lower volume levels but the distortion will be from the pedal, not the amplifier.

sonar

Sure, but will it sound good?

As PaulD mentioned, the character of the pedal will dominate the tone when you're playing at lower volume levels. You can play around with different pedals and eventually land on a useable tone, but (imo) it'll never truly replicate a non-master volume amp with some meat behind it.

I play a "small" non-master amp, but when volume restraints dictate low volume I'll use an EP Booster for added grit while turning down the volume of my amp. The tone is fine for those few situations, but it's not something I'd enjoy for everyday use.

Cliff Gress

Thanks for the detailed answers Paul and Sonar. I'm going to pass on the 20W Studio Vintage even though you can play it at 5W. My 1W JTM was doing a fine job at home last night. Loud enough.

goldtop0

Sure, but will it sound good?

As PaulD mentioned, the character of the pedal will dominate the tone when you're playing at lower volume levels. You can play around with different pedals and eventually land on a useable tone, but (imo) it'll never truly replicate a non-master volume amp with some meat behind it.

I play a "small" non-master amp, but when volume restraints dictate low volume I'll use an EP Booster for added grit while turning down the volume of my amp. The tone is fine for those few situations, but it's not something I'd enjoy for everyday use.

Yes with my PR and 1974X the EP Booster(which I like the most of all the volume boosters I've had or tried over the years) adds a bit of bottom end.........which is not perfect, not a true reflection of the amp tone that I've dialled in.......... and that's using single coils or humbuckers needless to say.

mdubya

I used to use the volume on my Maestro MFZ-1 Fuzz to turn the volume down on my Champ and my 2204. It works. It is not the best solution to low volume playing, but it works, pedal and amp dependant.

"Unity" on the MFZ-1 is at about 5.5 or 6. I would roll it down to 2 or 3.

This did not work with my germanium Fuzz Face, though. Not is a good sounding way.

You could try a volume pedal, too. I never have, but some say it works. :hmm