• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Serial Number Reliability

jordanhathaway

Hey forum,

I have read a lot of the different sites that describe what the serial numbers should be for specific years. But I have also read that the serial numbers were all over the place in certain years.

So my thread discussion is this...

I have what I believe to be a 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop. The reason I say believe to have is because everything I have read says the serial number starting with a 9XXXXX (the guitar is at home and I can get the actual serial number if anybody thinks it would help the discussion) is for a 1970, 1971, or 1972. In looking at the pot date, 3 of the 4 are original and have 1973 dates. Is it possible that the serial number starting with a 9 is in fact a 1973?

Thanks for your help!

mattnew33

I had replied to this thread, and it never got posted... dunno

welcome to the forum...

So.. is it possible... short answer is yes, it might have been a leftover started in '72 and finished in '73... etc.... , the serial numbers in this timeframe are screwy. I had 1970 that everytime I talked to someone that "knew" insisted it was a 1972.... pots had been changed so in reality it was anyones guess... I had no reason to think 1970 vs 1972... it wouldn't change the value of the guitar, so I stuck to what the previous owner told me. For you, if the pots appear original and have 73 date codes I would have no problem calling it a '73 unless there are other details of the guitar that might change that. value wise... in my opinion...others may disagree.... '72 vs '73 isn't going to affect anything really so there is no "pressure" either way to call it either year.

pics would help

mattnew33

if you can move this to the sunburst pub you might get a better answer...

guitplayer

Hey forum,

I have read a lot of the different sites that describe what the serial numbers should be for specific years. But I have also read that the serial numbers were all over the place in certain years.

So my thread discussion is this...

I have what I believe to be a 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop. The reason I say believe to have is because everything I have read says the serial number starting with a 9XXXXX (the guitar is at home and I can get the actual serial number if anybody thinks it would help the discussion) is for a 1970, 1971, or 1972. In looking at the pot date, 3 of the 4 are original and have 1973 dates. Is it possible that the serial number starting with a 9 is in fact a 1973?

Thanks for your help!
Pics? control cavity and serial#