The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Current market value for PAFS

Hi hi,

What would be the current market value for an original, double black, gold cover and lugs Paf? Also, does having an original surround increase it’s value substantially?
    regards
    PG
    Last edited by Peter Greenfan; 10-23-19 at 09:45 PM.

Re: Current market value for PAFS

A quick search on Reverb would give an idea ?
    Any facts stated above questionable, and opinions are not necessarily to be taken seriously

Get any bites on your fishing trip?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member

I have $23 in my wallet at the moment. But, you'll have to deliver in person.
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

Those are the ones in the Beano LP......... right??

Too many miscreants on board these days...........any way to filter this crap.

Hi all,

im not sure why this legitimate query has raised mostly sarcastic or negative responses?

im not ďfishingĒ or anything else. Iíve looked on reverb and only ones there are unbelievable. Literally.

I have one yes. Why the hate?

regards

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

In Deutschmarks? Or Bolivars?

"Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Do you all think Iím a scammer or Iím being devious in any way, Or committing a crime? I legitimately wanted to know, for I have been offered money for mine and there is no recent information on google or this forum that gives me an idea if it is a fair offer or not.
    please just let me know if Iím not permitted to ask such a question and I will happily remove the post.

if you doubt that the pickup is legitimate and Iím a scammer, Iím happy to provide any photos. Further, any of you thinks itís not a legitimate PAF then I want to know.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Greenfan View Post
    Do you all think I’m a scammer or I’m being devious in any way, Or committing a crime? I legitimately wanted to know, for I have been offered money for mine and there is no recent information on google or this forum that gives me an idea if it is a fair offer or not.
    please just let me know if I’m not permitted to ask such a question and I will happily remove the post.

if you doubt that the pickup is legitimate and I’m a scammer, I’m happy to provide any photos. Further, any of you thinks it’s not a legitimate PAF then I want to know.

regards
    Ok, I’ll bite.

Pictures of the top (especially if the covers are off), bottom and maybe the short sides of the pickups would be extremely helpful. If you can measure the resistance (ohms) that would be meaningful. Be sure to include as much of the lead in the picture too.

Authenticating genuine PAF from pictures on the internet is very tricky. If they are not genuine PAFs, we will be able tell you quickly, definitively and with consensus. We may not be able to tell you if they are genuine because they can, at times, be indistinguishable from fakes. The only way to be 100% confident about such an assessment is to get an in-hand inspection from a reputable expert.

The value is, as always, up to the buyer. However, here’s a very, very rough guide:
    (By no means is this one written in stone! This will change in time. I may have erred on the higher $ side of things... You may consider this guide as an opinion.)

Double black “Byrdland” covers off ~ $900, covers on ~ $950?
    Double black short magnet (‘60-‘62) covers off ~ $2K, covers on ~ $/2.2K?
    Double black long magnet (‘57-‘60) covers off ~ $2.5K+, covers on ~ $2.75K?
    Double white or zebra, covers off ~ $5K, covers on ~ $5.5K?
    Reverse zebra ~ probably not much more than double white or zebra, but who knows?

The following will/may affect the value:
    Condition!
    Rewound/altered/modified = half $ or even less.
    Nickel > gold
    Nickel > chrome
    Long lead > short lead
    Intact solder >> covers off
    Nice stickers > damaged or no stickers (unless it’s a super early ‘57)
    Ohm reading...some folks like 9ohms, others like 7.5. Higher ohm may be a tiny bit more $ than lower, but this is a subtlety.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    Ok, Iíll bite.

Pictures of the top (especially if the covers are off), bottom and maybe the short sides of the pickups would be extremely helpful. If you can measure the resistance (ohms) that would be meaningful. Be sure to include as much of the lead in the picture too.

Authenticating genuine PAF from pictures on the internet is very tricky. If they are not genuine PAFs, we will be able tell you quickly, definitively and with consensus. We may not be able to tell you if they are genuine because they can, at times, be indistinguishable from fakes. The only way to be 100% confident about such an assessment is to get an in-hand inspection from a reputable expert.

The value is, as always, up to the buyer. However, hereís a very, very rough guide:
    (By no means is this one written in stone! This will change in time. I may have erred on the higher $ side of things... You may consider this guide as an opinion.)

Double black ďByrdlandĒ covers off ~ $900, covers on ~ $950?
    Double black short magnet (Ď60-Ď62) covers off ~ $2K, covers on ~ $/2.2K?
    Double black long magnet (Ď57-Ď60) covers off ~ $2.5K+, covers on ~ $2.75K?
    Double white or zebra, covers off ~ $5K, covers on ~ $5.5K?
    Reverse zebra ~ probably not much more than double white or zebra, but who knows?

The following will/may affect the value:
    Condition!
    Rewound/altered/modified = half $ or even less.
    Nickel > gold
    Nickel > chrome
    Long lead > short lead
    Intact solder >> covers off
    Nice stickers > damaged or no stickers (unless itís a super early Ď57)
    Ohm reading...some folks like 9ohms, others like 7.5. Higher ohm may be a tiny bit more $ than lower, but this is a subtlety.

Again, your mileage may vary.

brandtkronholm : i really appreciate your very helpful reply. This is exactly the information was was looking for ( and then some!)

I will happily post photos and i am open to any further critic. I have done my best looking at all info on the net as to how to identify although im not sure hoe to check the magnet length. I have a classic '57 and it differs. The sticker is not right on the '57 an it is also wax potted.

From what i can see, the decal has the raised lettering and looks right (ie a little " less defined , cris) and it is also slightly raised lettering, the tooling marks on the legs, the circle with square, the bobbin is slight bent upwards. It reads 7.78 if i recall and the tape does nopt look to have been removed and above all else it sounds different (better, more open sounding and "airey"to any throwbacks (an early version with original 42 gauge wire (wired on the Lysondec? machine) i have also tried Ox4s, early "Classic 57s.3 with 42 enamel wire

I will post photos shortly. I am happy to be set straight and told these er not orig. Its been very interesting doing my homework thus far, however would like an opinion from the experts. AND i will probably never part with it as it the best sounding Humbucker i have heard.

Much obliged. Photos to come shortly.

Regards

brandtkronholm : i really appreciate your very helpful reply. This is exactly the information was was looking for ( and then some!)

I will happily post photos and i am open to any further critic. I have done my best looking at all info on the net as to how to identify although im not sure hoe to check the magnet length. I have a classic '57 and it differs. The sticker is not right on the '57 an it is also wax potted.

From what i can see, the decal has the raised lettering and looks right (ie a little " less defined , cris) and it is also slightly raised lettering, the tooling marks on the legs, the circle with square, the bobbin is slight bent upwards. It reads 7.78 if i recall and the tape does nopt look to have been removed and above all else it sounds different (better, more open sounding and "airey"to any throwbacks (an early version with original 42 gauge wire (wired on the Lysondec? machine) i have also tried Ox4s, early "Classic 57s.3 with 42 enamel wire

I will post photos shortly. I am happy to be set straight and told these er not orig. Its been very interesting doing my homework thus far, however would like an opinion from the experts. AND i will probably never part with it as it the best sounding Humbucker i have heard.

Much obliged. Photos to come shortly.

Regards

Les Paul Forum Member m bernardi's Avatar

go to mark's guitar loft look up accessories!!!!!

Here they are

Sorry if files are so large....i will re-sixe and forward some more

Regards

You can also look at market value by searching for Ďsoldí items on on-line markets like Reverb or eBay.
    The pickups are only worth what a buyer will pay and at that point in time.

Les Paul Forum Member musekatcher's Avatar

$5500 for a set of pickups, yikes! But, if I were restoring a real deal, I guess that's just what they cost...they aren't making any more.

Thank you for hour helpful replies

Regards

It appears to be a later ('60-'62 short magnet) gold plated PAF. Nothing looks immediately bad or wrong. However, there is some black gunk on the lower threading of the screws which is slightly mysterious. The lead has been cut or fixed, but that's not a deal breaker - actually, that's not uncommon.

Hey man thank you. How do you determine if itís a long or short magnet?

The long magnet measured 2.5" while the short magnet was about 2.25".

There's one picture in your photobucket album that has a very good view of the magnet peeking out from underneath the bobbins. On your pickup, there is a noticeable gap fro the edge of the magnet to the edge of the base-plate that the magnet sits on. The longer 2.5" magnet (often) sticks out farther sometimes being almost flush with the edge of the base-plate. This is why I'm saying (guessing) that your pickup has the shorter magnet. An in-hand inspection of the pickup will quickly determine the length of the magnet. Simply compare the distances from the edges of the base-plate to the edges of the magnet and do a bit of arithmetic. The length of the base-plate is about 2.7 inches.

Here are two good links with loads of info on PAFs:
    http://www.guitarhq.com/paf.html

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...vs-shot-magnet
    Attached Images Attached Images