• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Current market value for PAFS

Peter Greenfan

Hi hi,

What would be the current market value for an original, double black, gold cover and lugs Paf? Also, does having an original surround increase it’s value substantially?
regards
PG

Last edited:

thejaf

I have $23 in my wallet at the moment. But, you'll have to deliver in person. :spabout

goldtop0

Those are the ones in the Beano LP......... right??

Too many miscreants on board these days...........any way to filter this crap.

Peter Greenfan

Hi all,

im not sure why this legitimate query has raised mostly sarcastic or negative responses?

im not “fishing” or anything else. I’ve looked on reverb and only ones there are unbelievable. Literally.

I have one yes. Why the hate?

regards

Peter Greenfan

Do you all think I’m a scammer or I’m being devious in any way, Or committing a crime? I legitimately wanted to know, for I have been offered money for mine and there is no recent information on google or this forum that gives me an idea if it is a fair offer or not.
please just let me know if I’m not permitted to ask such a question and I will happily remove the post.

if you doubt that the pickup is legitimate and I’m a scammer, I’m happy to provide any photos. Further, any of you thinks it’s not a legitimate PAF then I want to know.

regards

brandtkronholm

Do you all think I’m a scammer or I’m being devious in any way, Or committing a crime? I legitimately wanted to know, for I have been offered money for mine and there is no recent information on google or this forum that gives me an idea if it is a fair offer or not.
please just let me know if I’m not permitted to ask such a question and I will happily remove the post.

if you doubt that the pickup is legitimate and I’m a scammer, I’m happy to provide any photos. Further, any of you thinks it’s not a legitimate PAF then I want to know.

regards

Ok, I’ll bite.

Pictures of the top (especially if the covers are off), bottom and maybe the short sides of the pickups would be extremely helpful. If you can measure the resistance (ohms) that would be meaningful. Be sure to include as much of the lead in the picture too.

Authenticating genuine PAF from pictures on the internet is very tricky. If they are not genuine PAFs, we will be able tell you quickly, definitively and with consensus. We may not be able to tell you if they are genuine because they can, at times, be indistinguishable from fakes. The only way to be 100% confident about such an assessment is to get an in-hand inspection from a reputable expert.

The value is, as always, up to the buyer. However, here’s a very, very rough guide:
(By no means is this one written in stone! This will change in time. I may have erred on the higher $ side of things... You may consider this guide as an opinion.)

Double black “Byrdland” covers off ~ $900, covers on ~ $950?
Double black short magnet (‘60-‘62) covers off ~ $2K, covers on ~ $/2.2K?
Double black long magnet (‘57-‘60) covers off ~ $2.5K+, covers on ~ $2.75K?
Double white or zebra, covers off ~ $5K, covers on ~ $5.5K?
Reverse zebra ~ probably not much more than double white or zebra, but who knows?

The following will/may affect the value:
Condition!
Rewound/altered/modified = half $ or even less.
Nickel > gold
Nickel > chrome
Long lead > short lead
Intact solder >> covers off
Nice stickers > damaged or no stickers (unless it’s a super early ‘57)
Ohm reading...some folks like 9ohms, others like 7.5. Higher ohm may be a tiny bit more $ than lower, but this is a subtlety.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Peter Greenfan

Ok, I’ll bite.

Pictures of the top (especially if the covers are off), bottom and maybe the short sides of the pickups would be extremely helpful. If you can measure the resistance (ohms) that would be meaningful. Be sure to include as much of the lead in the picture too.

Authenticating genuine PAF from pictures on the internet is very tricky. If they are not genuine PAFs, we will be able tell you quickly, definitively and with consensus. We may not be able to tell you if they are genuine because they can, at times, be indistinguishable from fakes. The only way to be 100% confident about such an assessment is to get an in-hand inspection from a reputable expert.

The value is, as always, up to the buyer. However, here’s a very, very rough guide:
(By no means is this one written in stone! This will change in time. I may have erred on the higher $ side of things... You may consider this guide as an opinion.)

Double black “Byrdland” covers off ~ $900, covers on ~ $950?
Double black short magnet (‘60-‘62) covers off ~ $2K, covers on ~ $/2.2K?
Double black long magnet (‘57-‘60) covers off ~ $2.5K+, covers on ~ $2.75K?
Double white or zebra, covers off ~ $5K, covers on ~ $5.5K?
Reverse zebra ~ probably not much more than double white or zebra, but who knows?

The following will/may affect the value:
Condition!
Rewound/altered/modified = half $ or even less.
Nickel > gold
Nickel > chrome
Long lead > short lead
Intact solder >> covers off
Nice stickers > damaged or no stickers (unless it’s a super early ‘57)
Ohm reading...some folks like 9ohms, others like 7.5. Higher ohm may be a tiny bit more $ than lower, but this is a subtlety.

Again, your mileage may vary.

brandtkronholm : i really appreciate your very helpful reply. This is exactly the information was was looking for ( and then some!)

I will happily post photos and i am open to any further critic. I have done my best looking at all info on the net as to how to identify although im not sure hoe to check the magnet length. I have a classic '57 and it differs. The sticker is not right on the '57 an it is also wax potted.

From what i can see, the decal has the raised lettering and looks right (ie a little " less defined , cris) and it is also slightly raised lettering, the tooling marks on the legs, the circle with square, the bobbin is slight bent upwards. It reads 7.78 if i recall and the tape does nopt look to have been removed and above all else it sounds different (better, more open sounding and "airey"to any throwbacks (an early version with original 42 gauge wire (wired on the Lysondec? machine) i have also tried Ox4s, early "Classic 57s.3 with 42 enamel wire

I will post photos shortly. I am happy to be set straight and told these er not orig. Its been very interesting doing my homework thus far, however would like an opinion from the experts. AND i will probably never part with it as it the best sounding Humbucker i have heard.

Much obliged. Photos to come shortly.

Regards

Peter Greenfan

brandtkronholm : i really appreciate your very helpful reply. This is exactly the information was was looking for ( and then some!)

I will happily post photos and i am open to any further critic. I have done my best looking at all info on the net as to how to identify although im not sure hoe to check the magnet length. I have a classic '57 and it differs. The sticker is not right on the '57 an it is also wax potted.

From what i can see, the decal has the raised lettering and looks right (ie a little " less defined , cris) and it is also slightly raised lettering, the tooling marks on the legs, the circle with square, the bobbin is slight bent upwards. It reads 7.78 if i recall and the tape does nopt look to have been removed and above all else it sounds different (better, more open sounding and "airey"to any throwbacks (an early version with original 42 gauge wire (wired on the Lysondec? machine) i have also tried Ox4s, early "Classic 57s.3 with 42 enamel wire

I will post photos shortly. I am happy to be set straight and told these er not orig. Its been very interesting doing my homework thus far, however would like an opinion from the experts. AND i will probably never part with it as it the best sounding Humbucker i have heard.

Much obliged. Photos to come shortly.

Regards