• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Popcorn Sound

RNELEE

I have a small shop hand wired 20 or so watt amp. When I lay of a note during the decay of the struck string/note the amp makes a popcorn sound. Granted the amp is pretty darn loud for this to take place. I am wondering if it is a loose connection someplace. a tube (relatively new JJ's) both power and preamp. Anything else? Could this be normal? If I turn down the volume a bit it seems to go away.

TM1

I have a small shop hand wired 20 or so watt amp. When I lay of a note during the decay of the struck string/note the amp makes a popcorn sound. Granted the amp is pretty darn loud for this to take place. I am wondering if it is a loose connection someplace. a tube (relatively new JJ's) both power and preamp. Anything else? Could this be normal? If I turn down the volume a bit it seems to go away.
Even if a tube is new that doesn’t mean it’s great. I’ve seen plenty of new tubes that were crap!