The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member 4string's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,097

    Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    https://paularthur.smugmug.com/organ...rth-2019/Burst

    Shared a ride to the show Saturday with one of the dealers. He was there Friday for load-in and described the atmosphere as "low energy" It was a smaller show in part because Fuller did not bring their usual inventory. That resulted in an entire row being empty. Not a huge selection of stuff as the photos indicate. There may have been a 1957 Gold Top walk-in Saturday afternoon. Saw it briefly, then it and the owner disappeared. Case had "Johnny" stenciled on it.

  2. #2
    In the Zone/Backstage Pass
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    4,879

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    As always, thanks for your photographic efforts! Thanks also for creating the separate categories of pics for each pub!

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member sws1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,397

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Thanks. That Heritage auction burst looks more "normal" in your photo than it does in the auction photos.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,384

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Thanks 4string............year after year a good lot of pics

    Good to see Terry Mueller's stand and the Moonburst on Tom's.
    That '58 has always fascinated me and I've not seen it in person. Like 8 5388 it's got a most distinctive top.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blighty.
    Posts
    5,933

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Might I add my thanks also.

    Year on year.

    It really is appreciated.

    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member zhivago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,193

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Many thanks for the great photos!!
    Guitars: '56 Les Paul Custom, '63 SG/LP Custom, '61 Jazzmaster, '43 000-28, '15 ES-345,
    Amps: Matchless Lightning, Zvex Nano amp
    Pedals: Centaur, BJFE, Analogman, Zvex, Maxon, Way Huge

  7. #7

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by 4string View Post
    https://paularthur.smugmug.com/organ...rth-2019/Burst

    Shared a ride to the show Saturday with one of the dealers. He was there Friday for load-in and described the atmosphere as "low energy" It was a smaller show in part because Fuller did not bring their usual inventory. That resulted in an entire row being empty. Not a huge selection of stuff as the photos indicate. There may have been a 1957 Gold Top walk-in Saturday afternoon. Saw it briefly, then it and the owner disappeared. Case had "Johnny" stenciled on it.
    It hasn’t been the same since they moved from Arlington. Different vibe. No disrespect to Fort Worth, but it’s like seeing a great new film in a shitty old theater. The show has lost that loving feeling, but I’ll still go each year. The highlight for me was seeing Tom. He let me hold his GI 56 Les Paul and I was shocked at how much I loved it. Now I know why Tom loves it too. I’d choose it over any other guitar and if I owned it, I’d sell the rest. It’s all you need. Tom, if you ever sell it, call me first! ❤️

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member slimdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    890

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Thanks for the pics, I enjoy them every year.

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,238

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Mieko8 View Post
    It hasn’t been the same since they moved from Arlington. Different vibe. No disrespect to Fort Worth, but it’s like seeing a great new film in a shitty old theater. The show has lost that loving feeling, but I’ll still go each year. The highlight for me was seeing Tom. He let me hold his GI 56 Les Paul and I was shocked at how much I loved it. Now I know why Tom loves it too. I’d choose it over any other guitar and if I owned it, I’d sell the rest. It’s all you need. Tom, if you ever sell it, call me first! ❤️
    Great to see you. It was fun talking Les Pauls to so many people.
    G.I. Paul is staying with me to the end.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  10. #10

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Great to see you. It was fun talking Les Pauls to so many people.
    G.I. Paul is staying with me to the end.
    Hi Tom, it was really great to see you too!! I look forward to seeing you more than all the guitars combined. Please bring GI Paul again sometime. It was breathtaking. I’d keep it until the end as well. It’s special. Thanks again for your kindness! I’ll see you in May in Dallas!!

  11. #11

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Good to see some friends at the show on Sunday but it was indeed a "low energy" show compared to those in past years. Sorry but don't shoot the messenger. The hall was not as full of vendors as seen in the large empty space margins on the perimeters of the hall space. Arlington used to fill a hall that large as well as the 2nd carpeted room and sometimes even a 3rd room was used for booths. A sign of the times I suppose? Guitar shows are changing. Some of the big vendors like Fullers would take a large spot with tons of Gibsons etc, but it seems with each show, there are fewer booths. I wish it was like the "old days" for the shows but they may be waning. Hope not but afraid it's true. Not the fault of the promoters but the location change from Arlington may be a factor also. i know FW used to be one of the hubs but for 30 some years Arlington was "it."
    I will be there no matter what but it's not as much fun now.

    ......Flame jacket on for incoming.........

  12. #12

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by martie6621 View Post
    Good to see some friends at the show on Sunday but it was indeed a "low energy" show compared to those in past years. Sorry but don't shoot the messenger. The hall was not as full of vendors as seen in the large empty space margins on the perimeters of the hall space. Arlington used to fill a hall that large as well as the 2nd carpeted room and sometimes even a 3rd room was used for booths. A sign of the times I suppose? Guitar shows are changing. Some of the big vendors like Fullers would take a large spot with tons of Gibsons etc, but it seems with each show, there are fewer booths. I wish it was like the "old days" for the shows but they may be waning. Hope not but afraid it's true. Not the fault of the promoters but the location change from Arlington may be a factor also. i know FW used to be one of the hubs but for 30 some years Arlington was "it."
    I will be there no matter what but it's not as much fun now.

    ......Flame jacket on for incoming.........
    No need for a shield. You are spot on correct and accurate. I too enjoyed it, but it wasn’t the same. The change of venue and fewer vendors. Not much magic. Also, not the typical selections and choices. I didn’t walk out of there wanting to get a second mortgage on my home!

  13. #13

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Thanks for sharing 4string!


    Midnight Blues

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,238

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by martie6621 View Post
    Good to see some friends at the show on Sunday but it was indeed a "low energy" show compared to those in past years. Sorry but don't shoot the messenger. The hall was not as full of vendors as seen in the large empty space margins on the perimeters of the hall space. Arlington used to fill a hall that large as well as the 2nd carpeted room and sometimes even a 3rd room was used for booths. A sign of the times I suppose? Guitar shows are changing. Some of the big vendors like Fullers would take a large spot with tons of Gibsons etc, but it seems with each show, there are fewer booths. I wish it was like the "old days" for the shows but they may be waning. Hope not but afraid it's true. Not the fault of the promoters but the location change from Arlington may be a factor also. i know FW used to be one of the hubs but for 30 some years Arlington was "it."
    I will be there no matter what but it's not as much fun now.

    ......Flame jacket on for incoming.........
    The Fort Worth Hall is larger than Arlington was.

    And believe me, the Amigos would never have left Arlington if they weren't forced out. [thanks to Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys owner ]
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  15. #15

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    The Fort Worth Hall is larger than Arlington was.

    And believe me, the Amigos would never have left Arlington if they weren't forced out. [thanks to Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys owner ]

    Tom, I thought the city of Arlington repurposed the convention center for gaming. I Didn't like the decision and like it even less if Jerry was behind it . That said, the FW hall is not bigger than the combined Sq ' of both of the former rooms at Arlington. I can think of quite a few old regulars that do not do FW. Fullers is only one but the players change as things evolve in guitar land. I think the early October dates don't help the FW locale. Lots of factors at play. Will continue to support it and wish the Amigos well.

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,238

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by martie6621 View Post
    Tom, I thought the city of Arlington repurposed the convention center for gaming. I Didn't like the decision and like it even less if Jerry was behind it . That said, the FW hall is not bigger than the combined Sq ' of both of the former rooms at Arlington. I can think of quite a few old regulars that do not do FW. Fullers is only one but the players change as things evolve in guitar land. I think the early October dates don't help the FW locale. Lots of factors at play. Will continue to support it and wish the Amigos well.
    It's the story that my friends who are regulars and exhibitors pieced out from several comments. Maybe they felt Jerry influenced the decision.

    As to the size, again what we were told.

    And believe me, I know of no one who wouldn't rather be back in the old Arlington Convention Hall [as it was, or improved].
    It just isn't possible.

    As to what else is possible?
    I have no idea.

    And if it's there next year, I am sure I will be there. Still a great show. I had a blast and did well in my minimal sales [5 of 10].
    I go for the fun, and it still is.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  17. #17

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    just a thought - if the quiet room at arlington was available - perhaps a scaled down show would be ok - dealers would need to sacrifice tables etc - table cost would probably rise to compensate the business side of things. My trips to Arlington were special and i loved meeting all the guys etc. I am sure the amigos have considered this and dont mean to be disrespecful in their decision to move.

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I yam.
    Posts
    9,240

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Is the photo link down? Just tried it and 'Page Not Found'.

    FWIW - I was told that the local sports group (baseball stadium, football stadium, local park & buildings) told the Convention Center 'If you dump all of your current contracts, we will make it worth your while and do a big long-term deal'.

    The Amigos found this out in February/March 2018 and had to find a new location ASAP.

    Unfortunately, apparently, FW is just too far away for some of the Dallas public regulars. IMO, YMMV

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,238

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by david plues View Post
    just a thought - if the quiet room at arlington was available - perhaps a scaled down show would be ok - dealers would need to sacrifice tables etc - table cost would probably rise to compensate the business side of things. My trips to Arlington were special and i loved meeting all the guys etc. I am sure the amigos have considered this and dont mean to be disrespecful in their decision to move.
    The building is not available, at all. And, I believe much of it [maybe all of it] has been remodeled and is quite different now.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,238

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Paul, once again we are indebted to you for the wonderful photos of these shows.

    While I saw you several times, I didn't get the chance to talk. I hope to next time!
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  21. #21

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    If the venue is locked in at the FW hall then so be it. I will still make the drive over from Dallas but I know some who won't. The show promotors would do well to make the hall a little more user friendly IMO. Arlington had the "lounge- like" area in front with lots of sitting space. They had tables in the small meeting rooms in back where show attendees could sit,eat, talk, etc. I for one go to a show and plan to stay the whole day. Legs and feet get tired ya know? Dealers have chairs and tables to take a break.

    I bought lunch at FW and looked around for a table and chair to sit. There was "1" (one) table and One chair - period. Not one as in "occupied" - One as in "One only" there. Nice. The Amigos do shows all over the country. How could they not notice this? How much would it cost to rent a few tables and chairs for us old guys to eat and sit at? Not a lot I bet. Sorry but there are not a lot of Millenials coming to these shows but that's another story. If people are comfortable they stay longer and maybe buy from dealers there. Know what happens when you've been there for 2-3 hours and your legs are tired from walking on concrete for 3 hours? - You leave! The shows may be changing but the promoters need to get out of the 1990's and try to make the show experience better. Maybe they can't change the location but they can make the show itself better. I used to say that GuitArlington was THE show with the Dallas show #2. Not any more.

  22. #22

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by martie6621 View Post
    If the venue is locked in at the FW hall then so be it. I will still make the drive over from Dallas but I know some who won't. The show promotors would do well to make the hall a little more user friendly IMO. Arlington had the "lounge- like" area in front with lots of sitting space. They had tables in the small meeting rooms in back where show attendees could sit,eat, talk, etc. I for one go to a show and plan to stay the whole day. Legs and feet get tired ya know? Dealers have chairs and tables to take a break.

    I bought lunch at FW and looked around for a table and chair to sit. There was "1" (one) table and One chair - period. Not one as in "occupied" - One as in "One only" there. Nice. The Amigos do shows all over the country. How could they not notice this? How much would it cost to rent a few tables and chairs for us old guys to eat and sit at? Not a lot I bet. Sorry but there are not a lot of Millenials coming to these shows but that's another story. If people are comfortable they stay longer and maybe buy from dealers there. Know what happens when you've been there for 2-3 hours and your legs are tired from walking on concrete for 3 hours? - You leave! The shows may be changing but the promoters need to get out of the 1990's and try to make the show experience better. Maybe they can't change the location but they can make the show itself better. I used to say that GuitArlington was THE show with the Dallas show #2. Not any more.

    I agree 100%. I ate my lunch in the entrance hall using a trash can as my table. I stood there and ate as fast as I could so that I could get back inside. Yup, nowhere to sit. No atmosphere to enjoy the day. I desperately miss Arlington and all that came with it. It’s just not the same.

  23. #23

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    following on from my last post - if the conference center is out why not the sheraton itself - there are a couple of large rooms upstairs plus the landing and actual lobby. just a thought. not as handy as the drive in loading bays which would be a blow to many.

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member 4string's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Link is active, at least it was about 30 seconds ago. If it's not, let me know and I'll take a look.

    Walked past Tom's booth a couple of times but there was always a crowd. Took about 90 minutes to do an initial walk-through and take some photos this year. At Arlington it was typically 2 hours. Had Fuller's brought their usual inventory the show might have looked more like last year. They had a small booth at Dallas last spring too.

    The "low energy" comment seems to have been reflected in other posts. Not a bad thing, just unexpected. Two dealers told me the same thing. A number of dealers who attended last year were not there this year and vice versa too. One Japanese dealer's booth had a good two dozen instruments they were preparing to ship. Chicago Music Exchange had at least that many too. Norm's had purchased at least 50 guitars and maybe half that number of amps when I left Saturday.

  25. #25

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Agree with the comments about the show. I had gone to every show in Arlington for almost 30 years and skipped last year's show in FTW. I decided to go this year and was pretty disappointed. Nice to see old dealers and friends but the selection of vintage gibsons and fenders and general "cool guitar" vibe was sorely lacking compared to the hey-day years in Arlington. I think the number of vintage dealers was down significantly as well. And being able to walk from the show hotel to the show in Arlington was great. The so-called "show hotel" was definitely a non-event. I know that nothing stays the same. Guess I'm getting old, reminiscing about the good-ole days!

  26. #26
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,238

    Re: Photos from Fort Worth 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by 56Goldtop View Post
    Guess I'm getting old, reminiscing about the good-ole days!
    You are not alone.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i