• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New book 'Explorer--A Pictorial History'

darkwave

I got my copy a little while ago. I'm glad CenterStream services our odd little niche of guitar nerdery, but I've had to accept that their output isn't always edited with an eye to detail... Two examples that seemed pretty glaring to me were pictures of 70's Ibanez Destroyers presented as original 50's Explorers. I'm pretty sure about the rear view on p43 because of the grain pattern, but on p105 you can clearly see the wrong bridge and even read the headstock logo!

As I said before, I'm glad these books are available, and I've bought a handful, but I'm careful about what I trust within them... I'm still tempted by the Moderne edition.

-Douglas C.

darkwave

I got my copy a little while ago. I'm glad CenterStream services our odd little niche of guitar nerdery, but I've had to accept that their output isn't always edited with an eye to detail... Two examples that seemed pretty glaring to me were pictures of 70's Ibanez Destroyers presented as original 50's Explorers. I'm pretty sure about the rear view on p43 because of the grain pattern, but on p105 you can clearly see the wrong bridge and even read the headstock logo!

As I said before, I'm glad these books are available, and I've bought a handful, but I'm careful about what I trust within them... I'm still tempted by the Moderne edition.

-Douglas C.
Just looked a little further and saw those exact same two pictures on p186 correctly identified as an Ibanez, so they're kinda 50/50 on this I suppose? ;-)

-Douglas C.

IMMUSICRULZ

The Gibson Explorer never gets enough credit in terms of Gibson guitars. Tommy Shaw of Styx played one.

Enlarscom

I'm glad these books are available, and I've bought a handful, but I'm careful about what I trust within them... I'm still tempted by the Moderne edition. ;)

Sarahbernstein

-Douglas C.

I also received my copy and was very pleased with it. not a bit sorry that spent on it. The acquisition is very worthy in my opinion. I even asked to write my paper about it, used https://edubirdie.com/write-my-paper for that. Every book I read, I soon document it, do some kind of review. So that people can better navigate whether they should take it or not. I'm waiting for something new.
I agree with you

Last edited:

storngk

-Douglas C.
Yes. There are some printing errors in the Explorer book. The original pdf. sent to the publisher did not have those errors. The publisher declined to fix the printing errors.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.24.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 7.24.02 AM.png
    632.3 KB · Views: 6

darkwave

Yes. There are some printing errors in the Explorer book. The original pdf. sent to the publisher did not have those errors. The publisher declined to fix the printing errors.
Are you saying that the printer chose to replace some photos of authentic Gibsons with others of copies and fakes? I'm not sure I understand why that would happen? Maybe the original pics were not cleared for publication or the resolution wasn't acceptable, but how do they take initiative to replace them with others without approval?

- Douglas C.

storngk

Are you saying that the printer chose to replace some photos of authentic Gibsons with others of copies and fakes? I'm not sure I understand why that would happen? Maybe the original pics were not cleared for publication or the resolution wasn't acceptable, but how do they take initiative to replace them with others without approval?

- Douglas C.
My guess is they never got a proof for review. I know the author didnt get a proof or the mistakes would have been corrected before publication.