• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ES-335 '59 Reissue question

1LT

Can any of you ES-335 experts help me out here? I need to know if there are any animal derived products/parts used in the construction of a 2010 ES-335 '59 Reissue made in the Nashville Custom Shop. For example, are the dot inlays made out of real MOP/abalone shell? Are the head stock inlays made out of MOP? What about the fret side markers? Real tortoiseshell? I'm not looking for the wood (plant) products, just what is made form animals. This may sound like a stupid question but it makes a difference to the US Dept of Fish and Wildlife who will be clearing (I hope) my guitar shippment from Japan. If there are no animal derived products, the guitar will be cleared by the US Dept of Agriculture not the USDFW. One inspector told asked me if it used "hide glue" in the construction because according to him, the glue is derived from animal products. I called Gibson customer service and the guy that answered could not tell me for sure, believe it or not. Thanks.

Guitar Whiskey

Gibson was not using hide glue on 335's in 2010. All the inlays and dot markers are not animal products but synthetic materials.

1LT

Thanks,

This is what I thought. I'm sure glad this CITES BS is going away in November, but I still have to deal with it on this guitar.