The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Gary moore R8

Gary moore R8

Hi, just seeing if anyone has any info on the R8 gary used later in his career at Montreux 2010..

Re: Gary moore R8

I wonder if the pickup selector is wired standard? That's some of the brightest, most cutting, neck pickup tone I have ever heard at the beginning of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by djcmusician View Post
    I wonder if the pickup selector is wired standard? That's some of the brightest, most cutting, neck pickup tone I have ever heard at the beginning of the video.
    Last edited by Keefoman; 10-16-19 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Out of it.

I am with you - that is amazing tone from the neck pickup!! I would love to hear if it was wired differently than a standard Les Paul.

His sound is usually quite overdriven, so to hear the subtlety in this clip is quite a treat. Wow.
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Yep that neck pup tone is great and a revelation..........need to find out the formulation of that for sure

Heaven forbid...........but a pedal maybe???
    He's got an array of them there.
    Last edited by goldtop0; 10-13-19 at 08:44 PM.

Looks like a run-of-the-mill Iced Tea R8 with an Iced Tea finish that could have been made anywhere between 2003-2008. The pickup covers are definitely Gibson parts, so its likely that the pickups are the stock Burstbuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefoman View Post
    Not a pro-shot video and youtube-sound will do that for you. Although very good quality clip, all things considered.
    Sure looks like a Pro Shoot to. Multiple angles, behind shots of the drummer, fades, at least 4 cameras as best I can see.

A BBE Sonic Stomp would do that to pretty much any stock Les Paul ?
    Any facts stated above questionable, and opinions are not necessarily to be taken seriously

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by au_rick View Post
    A BBE Sonic Stomp would do that to pretty much any stock Les Paul ?
    Would think something like this post, really don't believe guitar or amp !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    Sure looks like a Pro Shoot to. Multiple angles, behind shots of the drummer, fades, at least 4 cameras as best I can see.
    Yes it is. Don’t know where my mind was when writing that.

Also when listening through a good set of headphones, I don’t find the sound very peculiar. It’s bright, yes, but I think amp / pedal settings is to «blame».

Les Paul Forum Member

Sounds amazing to me with such great tone from the neck pickup . I wonder what kind of pickup that is ? Maybe vintage PAF's ? Really sounds killer !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Sounds amazing to me with such great tone from the neck pickup . I wonder what kind of pickup that is ? Maybe vintage PAF's ? Really sounds killer !!!!!!!!!!
    I've had '50s PAFs in my Historics over the years and never got that treble tone from the neck pup or heard that from a '50s LP either..........as au rick says it could be a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal.......I'll have to check that one out!!

Quote Originally Posted by DANELECTRO View Post
    Looks like a run-of-the-mill Iced Tea R8 ....... so its likely that the pickups are the stock Burstbuckers.
    I'd be the first guy to replace my pickups if I didn't like them, but after hearing the stock Burstbucker 1 in my '06 R8 I just left it alone. It does seem a little brighter to me than others, which is why I love it.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BGReed2 View Post
    I'd be the first guy to replace my pickups if I didn't like them, but after hearing the stock Burstbucker 1 in my '06 R8 I just left it alone. It does seem a little brighter to me than others, which is why I love it.
    I really like the stock BB for the same reason in my 07 R8 !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Yeah! I mean you couldn't just wack up the treble and middle, cut bass, boost presence and use the bright input on a Marshall, right? 'Cause then you'd have to actually turn a flippin' tone knob on the bleedin' guitar or fiddle with the volume too.

Musta been a pedal or trick wiring. Yup, musta been.

What on earth is so compelling about that guitar? Why the question? I see nothing noteworthy or remakable about it. As Danelectro noted, it appears to be a run of the mill Ice Tea R8.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by DANELECTRO View Post
    Looks like a run-of-the-mill Iced Tea R8 with an Iced Tea finish that could have been made anywhere between 2003-2008. The pickup covers are definitely Gibson parts, so its likely that the pickups are the stock Burstbuckers.
    Looks like mine!!C5364CA6-2C47-4BE1-B76D-48C613293AB0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman1956 View Post
    Like a whole lot. They are beautiful guitars with a classic, proven tone enhancing vintage US build and at reasonable cost. The thinking mans Burst. I own 11 Les Pauls and my 2013 R8 is a favourite. They are wonderful sounding, great feeling, beautiful guitars.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Looks like my '06 as well!

R8 2018-10-13 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Like a whole lot. They are beautiful guitars with a classic, proven tone enhancing vintage US build and at reasonable cost. The thinking mans Burst. I own 11 Les Pauls and my 2013 R8 is a favourite. They are wonderful sounding, great feeling, beautiful guitars.
    The neck on the R8 is the real deal for my taste I have a SG and 335 with the slim 60s neck profiles they seem to compliment those particular guitar well but since I had the rare opportunity to play a authentic ‘58 I wanted something true to the real deal and the R8 truly is. I’m a musician not a collector so tops mean little to me while playing.