• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Buying a guitar overseas?

Ihateusernames

Still new here, but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new custom shop les paul. I was looking through different websites when I found a couple of online retailers from Germany. The Gibson website says that they're authorized dealers so I'm not really worried about their legitimacy.

Has anyone purchased a new guitar online from an overseas dealer? Are there any possible issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks

duaneflowers

CITES comes to mind... as well as being aware of any import taxes that might be incurred... :salude

latestarter

I believe CITES is about to be a non issue for instruments. Just look out for taxes etc.

akstrat61

Not sure I would take any chances with a CS guitar coming overseas? There should be few guitars stateside that should fit the bill?:hmm

Tim Plains

I bought a used R9 from Japan once. No issues. Just be sure that the seller includes "Made in USA", no duty on US made goods re-entering the country, and know that Gibson's lifetime warranty only applies to new guitars bought within the US (if that matters to you).

Ihateusernames

dnabbet2

Well, for some reason it seems like these european dealers have more new guitars in stock from 2017-2018, and because they too have the 2019 range, the older guitars are cheaper.
This is what I was looking at:

https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/US...-VOS-Antique-Goldtop-78294/art-GIT0046891-000

I've lived in the Middle East almost twenty years and bought most of my guitars online from the UK or the US. And I've never had a problem with the guitar not being what it's supposed to be and as described. But I have bought a couple I probably wouldn't have if I'd had the chance to play it first -- even guitars of the same model and year can vary a lot in sound and feel.

I haven't had much choice. And I NOW like all the guitars I bought online. But I've since moved to a country whose capital has a big music scene, and I would fly there to try guitars out if I wanted to buy another one. So it depends what your options are, but be prepared for your online purchase to be the guitar you selected ... but maybe different from what you expected it to feel and sound like.

goldtop0

Local taxes on import into your country is the only thing that is a concern.
I've got most of my LPs from the US over the years both new and used and never had a problem with shipping from a dealer or individual, you just got to make sure you do things in detail.
Hopefully your local Customs people are reliable and on the ball.

dnabbet2

Local taxes on import into your country is the only thing that is a concern.
I've got most of my LPs from the US over the years both new and used and never had a problem with shipping from a dealer or individual, you just got to make sure you do things in detail.
Hopefully your local Customs people are reliable and on the ball.

A really good shipper will do the paperwork for you, and their brokers will take care of customs at the receiving end. Between Europe and the Middle East, DHL was excellent -- they handled passports for some of the embassies -- and you could just drop the guitar off at the outlet and they'd pack it and everything. FedEx was adequate but you had to do a lot of the paperwork yourself online. Both were expensive for a package like a Les Paul though.

dnabbet2

A really good shipper will do the paperwork for you, and their brokers will take care of customs at the receiving end. Between Europe and the Middle East, DHL was excellent -- they handled passports for some of the embassies -- and you could just drop the guitar off at the outlet and they'd pack it and everything. FedEx was adequate but you had to do a lot of the paperwork yourself online. Both were expensive for a package like a Les Paul though.

I need to add that when I say a good shipper will do the paperwork, I do not include anything special such as antiquities documentation. And I personally have never had a CITES situation. But, once again, in my experience, a really good shipper's brokers will deal with customs and tell you what additional paperwork you need.

au_rick

The biggest issue would be if there was a problem and you needed to return the guitar.

goldtop0

I need to add that when I say a good shipper will do the paperwork, I do not include anything special such as antiquities documentation. And I personally have never had a CITES situation. But, once again, in my experience, a really good shipper's brokers will deal with customs and tell you what additional paperwork you need.

Like you I've not had to deal with any CITES paperwork.
Usually it's the dealer(in the US) that has the freight cost stated in US$ when I'm purchasing a LP, and sent per Fedex usually.
So far here in NZ we don't pay import tax on used instruments, however if I buy new I pay an extra 15% on it, which isn't that exorbitant.
There's a lot of gear on ebay being sold by individuals now using the Global Shipping Program which is a Pitney Bowes setup. That's a rip off and I won't go near it........extra charges added for no reason........'blanket' charges as I would describe it.......okay for the seller because they can potentially get to ship their item internationally but not a good thing for the potential buyer.

BurstFan

I really hope you did not buy from this store.
This was my number one go to store for quiet some years.
I know many people not buying there any more.
They put Custum Shop guitars on non nitro stands which causes laquer burns all the time. I pointed this out to the custom shop manager and all he said was that he can give me a 100€ discount. Most of the times there is no store member in the custom shop area. People take the guitars from the wall all the time with nobody watching. There are dings and dongs on almost every guitar.
They do no setup to the instrument. Just put it out of the case and that's it.
So if you order online you will not know what you get. Stay away from it!

El Gringo

If you are in USA , there are too many shops ( Music Zoo, Dave's , Wildwood , Wild West Guitars ) that are stocked to the rafters with great new Gibson Custom offerings . Why have a hassle with import fees and duty taxes and possibly CITES issues ? when you can shop within the USA.