The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    98

    Billy Gibbons - Les Paul Standard used for Slide for 50th Anniversary Tour?

    Hi all, I took my father-in-law to see ZZ Top last month at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre for a surprise 65th birthday present. I knew that Pearly has been retired from touring and all of the recent YouTube videos I've seen of Gibbons lately have been him playing his custom Telecaster, SG, or custom Goldtop with decals. I was quite pleasantly surprised (as someone too young to have seen the Rev play Pearly live in person) to see the Rev pull out a burst Les Paul Standard to play slide for a searing seven minute rendition of Just Got Paid Today. I'm afraid I didn't grab any good photos, but he seems to be making regular use of it this tour, based on the following video from Berlin a couple months back:


    The colour looks like an iced tea fade, the top is pretty plain, poker chip is missing but no tan line, and the bridge double white is uncovered. Any word on this guitar? I assume its not a real vintage Burst, but a custom shop job of some kind? Anyone got any details?

  2. #2

    Re: Billy Gibbons - Les Paul Standard used for Slide for 50th Anniversary Tour?

    might be a Bolin - who knows

    Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo88 View Post
    Hi all, I took my father-in-law to see ZZ Top last month at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre for a surprise 65th birthday present. I knew that Pearly has been retired from touring and all of the recent YouTube videos I've seen of Gibbons lately have been him playing his custom Telecaster, SG, or custom Goldtop with decals. I was quite pleasantly surprised (as someone too young to have seen the Rev play Pearly live in person) to see the Rev pull out a burst Les Paul Standard to play slide for a searing seven minute rendition of Just Got Paid Today. I'm afraid I didn't grab any good photos, but he seems to be making regular use of it this tour, based on the following video from Berlin a couple months back:


    The colour looks like an iced tea fade, the top is pretty plain, poker chip is missing but no tan line, and the bridge double white is uncovered. Any word on this guitar? I assume its not a real vintage Burst, but a custom shop job of some kind? Anyone got any details?

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    7,277

    Re: Billy Gibbons - Les Paul Standard used for Slide for 50th Anniversary Tour?

    Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo88 View Post
    Hi all, I took my father-in-law to see ZZ Top last month at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre for a surprise 65th birthday present. I knew that Pearly has been retired from touring and all of the recent YouTube videos I've seen of Gibbons lately have been him playing his custom Telecaster, SG, or custom Goldtop with decals. I was quite pleasantly surprised (as someone too young to have seen the Rev play Pearly live in person) to see the Rev pull out a burst Les Paul Standard to play slide for a searing seven minute rendition of Just Got Paid Today. I'm afraid I didn't grab any good photos, but he seems to be making regular use of it this tour, based on the following video from Berlin a couple months back:


    The colour looks like an iced tea fade, the top is pretty plain, poker chip is missing but no tan line, and the bridge double white is uncovered. Any word on this guitar? I assume its not a real vintage Burst, but a custom shop job of some kind? Anyone got any details?
    Quite possibly the Bolin-reworked Gibson Pearly repro on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcZMAzlIKDo&t=21s
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

  4. #4

    Re: Billy Gibbons - Les Paul Standard used for Slide for 50th Anniversary Tour?

    It's definitely a Bolin, it has GIbbons on the headstock instead of Gibson.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    98

    Re: Billy Gibbons - Les Paul Standard used for Slide for 50th Anniversary Tour?

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersnappy View Post
    Quite possibly the Bolin-reworked Gibson Pearly repro on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcZMAzlIKDo&t=21s
    I think you are quite right! So what is a "Bolin"? Does he/she/they do scratch custom builds or mods? Or both?

  6. #6

    Re: Billy Gibbons - Les Paul Standard used for Slide for 50th Anniversary Tour?

    Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo88 View Post
    I think you are quite right! So what is a "Bolin"? Does he/she/they do scratch custom builds or mods? Or both?
    http://bolinguitars.com

    he has done a lot of guitars for thenm over the years

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member GastonG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: Billy Gibbons - Les Paul Standard used for Slide for 50th Anniversary Tour?

    This is one of his 2009 Gibson Pearly Gates that Bolin hollowed out and redone the headstock to read Gibbons Lucky Mojo.
    It is the very same guitar he was playing in 2010-2011

    For the 50th Anniversary tour, he removed the pickguard and the toggle switch plastic ring on it.

    Gaston
    Marshall & Les Paul or Bluesbreaker & Beano burst
    "sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble
    très bien ensemble" (as in "Michelle" by The Beatles)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i