• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickup output

gmohrs

Hi LP techs. My apologies if this has ben addressed - this is my first post. I recently replaced the p90 pickup in my LP bridge with a "stacked P90". I went ahead and wired it to be split with a push/pull pot. So here is my question: does the resistance of the pickup affect volume? For example, when the pickup is split the resistance is around 7.6, when not split, the resistance is double that (naturally). I can hear a tonal difference between the two, which was the goal, but the volume doesn't change when switched between single and double coil settings. Is this normal?

PaulD

The DC resistance of a pickup does not directly effect the output level, that is determined by the number of turns of wire and the strength of the magnet. Of course more turns of wire usually mean a higher resistance (all other things being equal) so you might expect that by using both coils instead of just one you would get a higher signal strength. However due to the way a stacked p90 (or P100) is constructed with one coil on top of the other, as well as cancelling hum it also cancels some of the signal so what you are experiencing is what would be expected - i.e. the increase in output from the extra coils of wire is being cancelled out by the effect of having one coil on top of the other.