• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best Guitar For Slide

Ace139

Might not be the correct section - so feel free to move to the Tone Zone if that is more appropriate.

Just getting into slide and thinking about getting a guitar and making it my slide instrument. Is there a best one for slide? Based on the players we all love and talk about I would say no - seems like about anything can work - but if you have experience and some knowledge I’m all ears. Thanks.

corpse

Might not be the correct section - so feel free to move to the Tone Zone if that is more appropriate.

Just getting into slide and thinking about getting a guitar and making it my slide instrument. Is there a best one for slide? Based on the players we all love and talk about I would say no - seems like about anything can work - but if you have experience and some knowledge I’m all ears. Thanks.

Best is tough- i have played slide on tele's, LP's (modern Standards and historics), old Jr's, historic Jr's, Teles and an SG- which was set up on purpose with a higher action- and they all "work"-- but each has it's own thing so it makes 'best' tough. I think the biggest choice is the actual slide itself. I really like the thick Dunlop glass slides.
Enjoy the ride.

thin sissy

For whatever reason I seem to prefer P-90's for slide, especially my Jr :hmm

But like you say, anything can work!

sonar

Personally, I prefer Gibson pickups. Maybe a bright P90 over a 'bucker, but that's not a hard rule.

I like brass over glass or ceramic, but have all three (plus steel) for different textures... which is code for saying I have a tendency to go overboard with accessories. My current favorite is "The Rock Slide" in brass.

Danny Gatton used a beer bottle and was as good as any slide player, but he was also an incredible talent.

I also believe the amp is as important as the other variables. Smaller combos like a cranked Tweed, 50's Valco and some of the old Gibson amps can be pretty great, and because the Super Lead isn't really a practical option.:yah Anyway, I definitely prefer overdrive over modern preamp gain, volume permitting.

Ace139

Thanks guys - I currently have the Duane Allman Coricidin bottle right now. No circulation / finger sweat - not liking it. Experimenting with my Strat, LP and a Penguin.

Can you - set up your guitar to be able to be dual purpose - I like my action low so as you can imagine right now I’m making some pretty awful sound with fret out & bang.

So far like the LP tone the best - could be because I like ABB / Mule stuff.

Thanks for the replies & POV.

corpse

I don't do anything more than set up to factory specs. The rest is just wood-shedding- work on a light touch and good damping behind the slide and dampen the note by your picking hand- don't let things ring too long if you don't need them to. That separates the good from the mediocre slide players.

thin sissy

I don't do anything more than set up to factory specs. The rest is just wood-shedding- work on a light touch and good damping behind the slide and dampen the note by your picking hand- don't let things ring too long if you don't need them to. That separates the good from the mediocre slide players.
Good advice! That's how I approached it, I didn't want to have to have a special "slide guitar", so I play slide on my favorites with low action and standard tuning. I find that glass slides work well for this since they are light, but it's a matter of taste :hmm

Triburst

My advice would be to find the tone you're looking for by looking through videos of great slide players (Gibbons, Trucks, Duane Allman, and my personal favorite - Sonny Landreth).

Here's Sonny in action on Stage with John Hiatt:

And here is one of my favorites with him in the studio backing Hiatt again. Subtle, sweet, precise playing (I saw him do this on a firebird once).

INCREDIBLE touch. :hank

corpse

Just be careful what you aim for when you start with slide kids. Remember what it was started for- to make for easy playing while folks sang in a juke joint. Starting with Ry Cooder or Sonny?

gakees

You're asking which guitar might be easiest for playing slide. I recommend a double cut body since this will make playing above the 12th fret much easier and a guitar that allows you to adjust the action easily. Specifically, I highly recommend a LP Double Cut Junior. Can't miss with that P-90 sound.

Ace139

Again - really appreciate all the help. Think I’m gonna work on my touch and try to use my guitars as is. Also saw a video with Warren saying he liked to play in standard - because he could go either way.

mingus

I use a '63 SG Jr. for slide and it kills with the stock P-90 and slightly raised action (accomplished easily with the two wrap tail stud screws).

I also play slide on other guitars set up with normal action (I prefer the action a little on the high side so I can bend 2-3 semi tones without choking out). The other replies suggesting careful consideration of the type of slide are spot on. I prefer a thick glass one like the Dunlop or Ernie Ball. To me, the weight of those is easier to manage and the tone seems to be a bit warmer than metal. It's all personal preference, but worth it to buy and try out a few different types in order to determine which is the best option for you.

Happy practicing. :hank

captainvideo

This best slide guitars are cheapos.

Silvertones, Danelectros, Airlines, Kawias. Althought those aren't considered cheapos in today's world as far as compared to Squires and Epiphones.

jrgtr42

As others have said, there ain't no one best guitar for anything - just what sounds good to your ears.
As far as setup, it's probably best to have it a bit higher action than average.
If you have multiple guitars, it's easy to have one set up that way.
Not so easy if you just have one.

RNELEE

No Best. You have to try things out. Higher actions, thicker strings are preferences for me. In a standard tuning the options may not be available. Then you have to learn where to play on the fret board and how things work the best. I have 2 guitars in open tuning a $100.00 Epi in open E and a Melody Maker with 2 pickups also not an expensive guitar. They work great for slide. I think the moral of the story is to simply play what you have and make it work. If you are adding a guitar in open tuning cost does not really matter. Standard tuning, maybe a better guitar is preferrable. P 90's work for me. Acoustic guitars work well, a better guitar would be worth looking at: Seagull, Martin, Gibson or Taylor-no doubt others. Back to square one, best to just play until you find what you want. You may alraedy own it.

Last edited:

Ace139

So update - I have a beginner Epi LP that was doing nothing. So a couple of turns with the screwdriver on the bridge and tailpiece - that really helped. Then spent a while knocking out “In My Time Of Dying” by Zeppelin in open G. It was the perfect song to start on to get used to the feel of the slide - pretty simple and sounds awesome.

I think I will try some slide options - don’t like the feel of the coricidin bottle.

Having a blast :hank

Texas Blues

Best guitar for slide?

Thats a very good question.

But an easy answer.

All of them.

But to me.

All you need is a plank.

An Epi Jr.

A Squire Tele.

Buy 'em cheap.

Tune 'em deep.

And maximum amplification.

renderit

whatever +

36124987930_ff35d3d87c_b.jpg

Big Al

So update - I have a beginner Epi LP that was doing nothing. So a couple of turns with the screwdriver on the bridge and tailpiece - that really helped. Then spent a while knocking out “In My Time Of Dying” by Zeppelin in open G. It was the perfect song to start on to get used to the feel of the slide - pretty simple and sounds awesome.

I think I will try some slide options - don’t like the feel of the coricidin bottle.

Having a blast :hank

You're on track. I find heavy brass slides work best, for tone and touch. On guitars I use for open tuned slide I often use specificly gauged strings related to the tunings pitch. The lower the pitch the bigger the string. A medium to slightly high action and a straight neck are the only changes I find necessary.

I often played slide on my regular tuned guitars with lighter gauge strings and lower actions than a guitar set up in open tuning. I found a thick walled shorter slide worked best for me in this application as the thick brass slide is too hard to control on low action, light gauge strung guitars, (lots of fret rattle).

Try and find a store with a good slide selection. Dunlop offers a great selection of brass, chrome and pryex, [glass], slides in various thickness and length as well as hole diameter to allow for a perfect fit for your chosen style and finger size. Which finger works best depends on many factors and is a personal choice.

Have fun, brother. Levee Breaks is another good tune to try.