• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2015 ES 359 Custom

TiaT

Hey everyone! In need of some knowledge on this guitar I want to purchase. Title says it all and guitar checks out nothing fake about it. I’ve heard some mixed thoughts but I’ve come here to see what I can get from you all. T.I.A.

clayville

Not sure what info you're looking for, but I can offer a bit on the construction differences in the Gibson small-bodies if that's what you're after. My main guitar has been a CS-356 for 15 years, but I haven't spent more than 5 minutes playing an ES-359.

The ES-339 and ES-359 are smaller-bodied versions of (essentially) the ES-335 and ES-355. As with their larger cousins, the lower number model guitar (ES-339) has simpler appointments - dot neck inlays, a rosewood fretboard, plain binding, silver hardware, etc while the larger number model (ES-359) has block inlays, an ebony fretboard, multi-ply binding, gold hardware, a split-parallelogram headstock inlay. Those differences are cosmetic (though, as with an LP Standard vs an LP Custom, some players feel the ebony fretboards may effect feel/playability for them and some believe it may create a somewhat brighter tone).
The 339/359's are constructed like a 335: the body has a solid central block which is surrounded by bent ply tops, backs and sides. I *think* the 339/359 is wired with the "Memphis Tone Circuit" which I gather means it's more or less standard 1950s wiring.
The CS-336 and CS-356 (with appointments/bling corresponding to the description above) are slightly older models and the same size as the 339/359, but they're built entirely differently. The back, sides and 'center block' are all routed from a solid slab of mahogany (like a chambered LP) which is then capped with a book matched solid maple top much like an LP with f-holes.

All four of them fall "somewhere" between an LP and a 335 in tone and size, and they tend to weigh close to 7 lbs give or take a little. In my opinion the 336/356 leans slightly more toward LP tone, while the 339/359 leans slightly more towards 335 tone - but they are not vastly different from each other (in my opinion) despite the radically different construction. Also in my opinion the 336/356 can be warmer and woodier with a slightly "scooped" sound (stronger lows, stronger highs, weaker mids) while the 339/359 seems to be stronger in the mid-range. All four are neither fish nor fowl in the sense that they're an in-between design with an in-between sound, somewhat brighter than what some players expect.

Other models in this general Gibson small-body category include the Midtown (constructed a bit like the 336/356, but with a flat back and top rather than dished/contoured) and the various versions of the Johnny A (also generally similar to the 336/356 but more hollow with less center block, and with a longer [Fender] scale length).

I love my CS-356. The size appeals to me, along with the extreme sound versatility that comes from being in-between on that LP->335 sound spectrum. With a bit of knob twisting I can get almost Telecaster brightness if I want it, or a woody jazz tone if I want that - and a whole lot of rock, blues and funk in-between. That said, some players looking for the 335 sound are disappointed that none of these quite get "there". 'Hope some of that helps...

Last edited:

reddeluxe

Clayville is 100% correct in his observations about the 3X6 VS. 3X9, their similarities, and their differences in construction and tone. The differences are subtle, but they exist. Having owned 6 vintage, full body size 3X5 Gibson guitars in all the various trim levels, I agree the 3X9 series is slightly more midrange oriented (fatter to my ears) and is closer to the typical full body size semi hollow sound than the 3X6. That having been said, I have spent considerable hours playing a good friend's early CS 359, and I quite like it..very versatile...just seems a bit brighter and punchier, when I need it to be, but that can be dialed back into more traditional ES tone territory easily. Bottom line, CS 356 guitars seem to be very well built to a high standard and are very versatile...I think you would be extremely happy with one.