• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best amp for the best burst tone

thejaf

Early 1970s metal face Marshall 1987. Loaded with nice tubes and through a well-aged 4x12, really can't be beat for just about anything except jazz.

marshall1987

MB used hiwatt amps in the early 70s:dude:

You're right. I believe I have seen videos and photos with HiWatt amps behind Martin. The combination of M. Barre's unique guitar playing touch, his sunburst '59 Les Paul Standard, and his choice of amps firmly placed him within the pantheon of all-time greats.

And having Ian Anderson as Jethro Tull's front man, with his deft ability on acoustic guitar and flute, freed MB to sit back and accompany Ian, then step out front when the song required a guitar solo.

Jethro Tull also had two keyboard players which had a huge impact on their creative song writing abilities. I don't think there has ever been another classic rock band with the unique blend of musical styles and individual talent.

Lastly, Jethro Tull was in competition with Led Zeppelin and the two groups actually recorded at the same studios during the same periods.

Does anyone know who produced Jethro Tull, especially Aqualung?

Midnight Blues

You're right. I believe I have seen videos and photos with HiWatt amps behind Martin. The combination of M. Barre's unique guitar playing touch, his sunburst '59 Les Paul Standard, and his choice of amps firmly placed him within the pantheon of all-time greats.

And having Ian Anderson as Jethro Tull's front man, with his deft ability on acoustic guitar and flute, freed MB to sit back and accompany Ian, then step out front when the song required a guitar solo.

Jethro Tull also had two keyboard players which had a huge impact on their creative song writing abilities. I don't think there has ever been another classic rock band with the unique blend of musical styles and individual talent.

Lastly, Jethro Tull was in competition with Led Zeppelin and the two groups actually recorded at the same studios during the same periods.

Does anyone know who produced Jethro Tull, especially Aqualung?

I love Tull and Martin!

If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that he used an LP Jr. on Aqualung? As far as who produced the album, it was Ian Anderson and Terry Ellis.

TM1

Sure miss my friend Andy Fraser of Free! Such a nice guy and funny too...

Tim

I'm partial to the early blond Vibro King's -

ourmaninthenorth

Never seen that performance before. Thanks for putting it up Pal.

Great example of Pagey just about to fall off the high wire, but getting his balance at the very last second. All heart and soul.

An extraordinary guitar player.

Tim

Never seen that performance before. Thanks for putting it up Pal.

Great example of Pagey just about to fall off the high wire, but getting his balance at the very last second. All heart and soul.

An extraordinary guitar player.

You're welcome! And yes, I believe his playing like that really ties into the emotion of the song. Check out The Rain Song from that concert, just so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeDylD8dV7U

Big Al

I have 50-60 amps stacked up in the vibratorium, all of which deliver a version of best tone.

Best? as in the best? Bestest most Bestiest Bestly?

Idunno if that is a thing or a wish. The song tells me what's best depending upon my mood and how I plan to interface with it at that time. So much depends on the other musicians, (I'm assuming this isn't a solitary bedroom wankfest endeavour), venue, circumstance, how many pretty maids all in a row.

The song and place and mood kinda dictate which version of best I'll choose, but if I had to narrow it down, in my case, I'd say any pre 1967 Fender amp would deliver.

au_rick

Whatever Martin Barre was using with Jethro Tull in the early to mid 1970s. His live tone was incomparable IMO.

So toss into the garden salad all they other greats with the same rig.

I believe they were Marshall 100 watt amps with the suitable cabs.:dude:

SolaSound Tonebender might have a bit to do with it too ??

thejaf

I have that on DVD too. I may incorrect, but isn't this his Tonemaster era? From a distance it looks like a vintage Fender, but the Tonemaster was a Bruce Zinky creation for Fender covered in blond tolex, and actually a great sounding amp.

Tim

I have that on DVD too. I may incorrect, but isn't this his Tonemaster era? From a distance it looks like a vintage Fender, but the Tonemaster was a Bruce Zinky creation for Fender covered in blond tolex, and actually a great sounding amp.

The Tonemaster was a 100w head and 2x12 closed cab. In the video you can see it's a combo which would make it a Vibro King or Dual Professional but I'm pretty sure I read years ago it was the former. It may be more visible in other videos, the VK I believe is taller than a DP. And Zinky designed all three of them.

Tim

If you look at 7:08, you can see that it has 9 knobs which would make it a Vibro King. The Dual Professional had 10 since it had a volume for each channel with one set of tone controls. The Tone Master had only 9 but in a different layout, 4 for one channel, 5 for the other and no three-knob reverb.