• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best amp for the best burst tone

randall

Well let see what this question will bring up.

In your opinion, what do you think the ultimate amp is for the best Les Paul burst tone?

This would be my first guess, JTM 45 combo!

goldtop0

For me it's the LP/Marshall combination........no pedals of course........
........ my 1974x combo or JTM45/4x12 also with pulsonic alnicos.

corpse

I am a huge fan of Brown Fenders.
But what I have heard of your tone is right there old son.

LeonC

My favorite burst tones are probably Billy Gibbons on the first 3 or 4 ZZ Top LPs. Sure sounds like some kind of 100W Marshall to me. I've read that he used a brown Deluxe in the old days, and other old Fenders as well, and I've played through 50 watters through which you could get those sounds too. All great choices...as were the Fenders you see/hear Peter Green and Danny Kirwin playing through in the late FM era. (Apparently they toured with Orange's in the US once -- during the Shrine recordings -- which also sounded great, if not my favorites per se.) Of course Clapton with Mayall, the Allman Bros too (large, late 60s Marshalls, yes?) as well as Joe Walsh in the James Gang days (think he used a 50W Marshall frequently).

goldtop0

There is no 'best' anything. The 'best' something is the one that you like.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times

There is no 'best' anything. The 'best' something is the one that you like.

:lol..........keep smiling brother.

sonar

My favorite burst tones are probably Billy Gibbons on the first 3 or 4 ZZ Top LPs. Sure sounds like some kind of 100W Marshall to me. I've read that he used a brown Deluxe in the old days, and other old Fenders as well, and I've played through 50 watters through which you could get those sounds too. All great choices...as were the Fenders you see/hear Peter Green and Danny Kirwin playing through in the late FM era. (Apparently they toured with Orange's in the US once -- during the Shrine recordings -- which also sounded great, if not my favorites per se.) Of course Clapton with Mayall, the Allman Bros too (large, late 60s Marshalls, yes?) as well as Joe Walsh in the James Gang days (think he used a 50W Marshall frequently).

All great examples, although I thought Joe Walsh used a '68 for most of the James Gang?

I'm partial to Page's tone around the time of the Royal Albert Hall show, so #1 and the Hiwatt era.

Pretty much everything Mike Bloomfield did up to the mid 70's. He was known to favor Twin Reverbs.

marshall1987

Whatever Martin Barre was using with Jethro Tull in the early to mid 1970s. His live tone was incomparable IMO.

So toss into the garden salad all they other greats with the same rig.

I believe they were Marshall 100 watt amps with the suitable cabs.:dude:

ourmaninthenorth

Perm any combination from Leo and Jim's work, with a nod of the head to Messrs Reeves and Jennings.

The one combination however that I'd love to spend a day with and would consider the quest complete, is Greeny through a 1964 Matamp Series 2000, with an original Reverb head and cab. I don't know if an original full set up even exists anywhere.

Other than an unscratched itch, there is no other rationale I can offer as to the why.

And don't forget Lads, when the fun stops, the digital age beckons....

LeonC

All great examples, although I thought Joe Walsh used a '68 for most of the James Gang?

I'm partial to Page's tone around the time of the Royal Albert Hall show, so #1 and the Hiwatt era.

Pretty much everything Mike Bloomfield did up to the mid 70's. He was known to favor Twin Reverbs.

Joe using a '68...what? LP? or a '68 Marshall? Not sure which you mean. I saw the James Gang in '69 at the Birmingham Teen Center (Birmingham, MI) and he was playing a sunburst Les Paul into a Marshall stack, IIRC. I sure can't claim to remember the vintage of his LP...it was a sunbrust as I recall...and they weren't making them that way in the late 60s. Not sure if it was a 50 or 100W Marshall...can't remember that clearly. But anyways...I later read that he sold or gave Page one of his bursts sometime in that era, maybe a little later? Anyway, I assumed he was playing a late 50s or 60 burst...but I can't really claim to know. Sure sounded great though! :dude:

Yeah, love Page's tones too--from all eras!--even when he used the Tele on LZ1...

Yeah, Bloomfield on Albert's Shuffle...that whole Supper Sessions record was outstanding!

sonar

Joe using a '68...what? LP? or a '68 Marshall? Not sure which you mean. I saw the James Gang in '69 at the Birmingham Teen Center (Birmingham, MI) and he was playing a sunburst Les Paul into a Marshall stack, IIRC. I sure can't claim to remember the vintage of his LP...it was a sunbrust as I recall...and they weren't making them that way in the late 60s. Not sure if it was a 50 or 100W Marshall...can't remember that clearly. But anyways...I later read that he sold or gave Page one of his bursts sometime in that era, maybe a little later? Anyway, I assumed he was playing a late 50s or 60 burst...but I can't really claim to know. Sure sounded great though! :dude:

Yeah, love Page's tones too--from all eras!--even when he used the Tele on LZ1...

Yeah, Bloomfield on Albert's Shuffle...that whole Supper Sessions record was outstanding!

Sorry, I meant '68 LP.

I'm far from an expert on Joe Walsh, but most video and pics I've seen of him with The James Gang has him playing a large headstock LP. Obviously that doesn't confirm what he used in the studio.