NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member

Best amp for the best burst tone

Well let see what this question will bring up.

In your opinion, what do you think the ultimate amp is for the best Les Paul burst tone?

This would be my first guess, JTM 45 combo!

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Re: Best amp for the best burst tone

Totally subjective. Personally, whatever Superleads were used here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LxXguD-EQI
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

For me it's the LP/Marshall combination........no pedals of course........
    ........ my 1974x combo or JTM45/4x12 also with pulsonic alnicos.

There is no 'best' anything. The 'best' something is the one that you like.

I am a huge fan of Brown Fenders.
    But what I have heard of your tone is right there old son.

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
    The OP wrote:

"In your opinion, what do you think the ultimate amp is for the best Les Paul burst tone?"
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Quote Originally Posted by thin sissy View Post
    The OP wrote:

"In your opinion, what do you think the ultimate amp is for the best Les Paul burst tone?"
    In my opinion there is no 'best' anything. The 'best' something is the one that you like.

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

In my opinion there is no 'best' anything. The 'best' something is the one that you like.
    I agree with you . I read the OP:s post as if he agrees too.
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Les Paul Forum Member

hey guys this is for fun, so have fun.

Where the only difference between the moose and the women is 40 lbs. and a flannel shirt!

This would be my target tone if I had a burst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgT6ZEzwPY0

Koss' vibrato gives that thing such a nice woody tone on the leads. I guess All Right Now would be another great example.
    ...and then the old bull said "No son, let's walk down the hill and fuck all of 'em."

Why do do you hate fun?

My favorite burst tones are probably Billy Gibbons on the first 3 or 4 ZZ Top LPs. Sure sounds like some kind of 100W Marshall to me. I've read that he used a brown Deluxe in the old days, and other old Fenders as well, and I've played through 50 watters through which you could get those sounds too. All great choices...as were the Fenders you see/hear Peter Green and Danny Kirwin playing through in the late FM era. (Apparently they toured with Orange's in the US once -- during the Shrine recordings -- which also sounded great, if not my favorites per se.) Of course Clapton with Mayall, the Allman Bros too (large, late 60s Marshalls, yes?) as well as Joe Walsh in the James Gang days (think he used a 50W Marshall frequently).
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times

..........keep smiling brother.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonC View Post
    My favorite burst tones are probably Billy Gibbons on the first 3 or 4 ZZ Top LPs. Sure sounds like some kind of 100W Marshall to me. I've read that he used a brown Deluxe in the old days, and other old Fenders as well, and I've played through 50 watters through which you could get those sounds too. All great choices...as were the Fenders you see/hear Peter Green and Danny Kirwin playing through in the late FM era. (Apparently they toured with Orange's in the US once -- during the Shrine recordings -- which also sounded great, if not my favorites per se.) Of course Clapton with Mayall, the Allman Bros too (large, late 60s Marshalls, yes?) as well as Joe Walsh in the James Gang days (think he used a 50W Marshall frequently).
    All great examples, although I thought Joe Walsh used a '68 for most of the James Gang?

I'm partial to Page's tone around the time of the Royal Albert Hall show, so #1 and the Hiwatt era.

Pretty much everything Mike Bloomfield did up to the mid 70's. He was known to favor Twin Reverbs.

Les Paul Forum Member

Tweed deluxe!

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Whatever Martin Barre was using with Jethro Tull in the early to mid 1970s. His live tone was incomparable IMO.

So toss into the garden salad all they other greats with the same rig.

I believe they were Marshall 100 watt amps with the suitable cabs.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    Why do do you hate fun?
    It is not 'fun' I am just expressing my opinion, which I understand is still allowed.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Perm any combination from Leo and Jim's work, with a nod of the head to Messrs Reeves and Jennings.

The one combination however that I'd love to spend a day with and would consider the quest complete, is Greeny through a 1964 Matamp Series 2000, with an original Reverb head and cab. I don't know if an original full set up even exists anywhere.

Other than an unscratched itch, there is no other rationale I can offer as to the why.

And don't forget Lads, when the fun stops, the digital age beckons....
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    All great examples, although I thought Joe Walsh used a '68 for most of the James Gang?

I'm partial to Page's tone around the time of the Royal Albert Hall show, so #1 and the Hiwatt era.

Pretty much everything Mike Bloomfield did up to the mid 70's. He was known to favor Twin Reverbs.
    Joe using a '68...what? LP? or a '68 Marshall? Not sure which you mean. I saw the James Gang in '69 at the Birmingham Teen Center (Birmingham, MI) and he was playing a sunburst Les Paul into a Marshall stack, IIRC. I sure can't claim to remember the vintage of his LP...it was a sunbrust as I recall...and they weren't making them that way in the late 60s. Not sure if it was a 50 or 100W Marshall...can't remember that clearly. But anyways...I later read that he sold or gave Page one of his bursts sometime in that era, maybe a little later? Anyway, I assumed he was playing a late 50s or 60 burst...but I can't really claim to know. Sure sounded great though!

Yeah, love Page's tones too--from all eras!--even when he used the Tele on LZ1...

Yeah, Bloomfield on Albert's Shuffle...that whole Supper Sessions record was outstanding!
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

Quote Originally Posted by LeonC View Post
    Joe using a '68...what? LP? or a '68 Marshall? Not sure which you mean. I saw the James Gang in '69 at the Birmingham Teen Center (Birmingham, MI) and he was playing a sunburst Les Paul into a Marshall stack, IIRC. I sure can't claim to remember the vintage of his LP...it was a sunbrust as I recall...and they weren't making them that way in the late 60s. Not sure if it was a 50 or 100W Marshall...can't remember that clearly. But anyways...I later read that he sold or gave Page one of his bursts sometime in that era, maybe a little later? Anyway, I assumed he was playing a late 50s or 60 burst...but I can't really claim to know. Sure sounded great though!

Yeah, love Page's tones too--from all eras!--even when he used the Tele on LZ1...

Yeah, Bloomfield on Albert's Shuffle...that whole Supper Sessions record was outstanding!
    Sorry, I meant '68 LP.

I'm far from an expert on Joe Walsh, but most video and pics I've seen of him with The James Gang has him playing a large headstock LP. Obviously that doesn't confirm what he used in the studio.

Les Paul Forum Member

Early 1970s metal face Marshall 1987. Loaded with nice tubes and through a well-aged 4x12, really can't be beat for just about anything except jazz.
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

Les Paul Forum Member m bernardi's Avatar

MB used hiwatt amps in the early 70s

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thejaf View Post
    Early 1970s metal face Marshall 1987. Loaded with nice tubes and through a well-aged 4x12, really can't be beat for just about anything except jazz.
    Yup!

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Quote Originally Posted by m bernardi View Post
    MB used hiwatt amps in the early 70s
    You're right. I believe I have seen videos and photos with HiWatt amps behind Martin. The combination of M. Barre's unique guitar playing touch, his sunburst '59 Les Paul Standard, and his choice of amps firmly placed him within the pantheon of all-time greats.

And having Ian Anderson as Jethro Tull's front man, with his deft ability on acoustic guitar and flute, freed MB to sit back and accompany Ian, then step out front when the song required a guitar solo.

Jethro Tull also had two keyboard players which had a huge impact on their creative song writing abilities. I don't think there has ever been another classic rock band with the unique blend of musical styles and individual talent.

Lastly, Jethro Tull was in competition with Led Zeppelin and the two groups actually recorded at the same studios during the same periods.

Does anyone know who produced Jethro Tull, especially Aqualung?
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

For me, it has to be a Marshall: 1959, 1962 or 1974X.
    Midnight Blues

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    You're right. I believe I have seen videos and photos with HiWatt amps behind Martin. The combination of M. Barre's unique guitar playing touch, his sunburst '59 Les Paul Standard, and his choice of amps firmly placed him within the pantheon of all-time greats.

And having Ian Anderson as Jethro Tull's front man, with his deft ability on acoustic guitar and flute, freed MB to sit back and accompany Ian, then step out front when the song required a guitar solo.

Jethro Tull also had two keyboard players which had a huge impact on their creative song writing abilities. I don't think there has ever been another classic rock band with the unique blend of musical styles and individual talent.

Lastly, Jethro Tull was in competition with Led Zeppelin and the two groups actually recorded at the same studios during the same periods.

Does anyone know who produced Jethro Tull, especially Aqualung?
    I love Tull and Martin!

If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that he used an LP Jr. on Aqualung? As far as who produced the album, it was Ian Anderson and Terry Ellis.
    Midnight Blues

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Sure miss my friend Andy Fraser of Free! Such a nice guy and funny too...

Les Paul Forum Member m bernardi's Avatar

martin played lpjr-lp- sg- then hamer's -prs.

Vintage Fender Tweed Deluxe

Les Paul Forum Member

I'm partial to the early blond Vibro King's -

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post

Never seen that performance before. Thanks for putting it up Pal.

Great example of Pagey just about to fall off the high wire, but getting his balance at the very last second. All heart and soul.

An extraordinary guitar player.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Never seen that performance before. Thanks for putting it up Pal.

Great example of Pagey just about to fall off the high wire, but getting his balance at the very last second. All heart and soul.

An extraordinary guitar player.
    You're welcome! And yes, I believe his playing like that really ties into the emotion of the song. Check out The Rain Song from that concert, just so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeDylD8dV7U

Les Paul Forum Member

Nice!!! Thanks....
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

My 57 GA9 is killer !!
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

I have 50-60 amps stacked up in the vibratorium, all of which deliver a version of best tone.

Best? as in the best? Bestest most Bestiest Bestly?

Idunno if that is a thing or a wish. The song tells me what's best depending upon my mood and how I plan to interface with it at that time. So much depends on the other musicians, (I'm assuming this isn't a solitary bedroom wankfest endeavour), venue, circumstance, how many pretty maids all in a row.

The song and place and mood kinda dictate which version of best I'll choose, but if I had to narrow it down, in my case, I'd say any pre 1967 Fender amp would deliver.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    Whatever Martin Barre was using with Jethro Tull in the early to mid 1970s. His live tone was incomparable IMO.

So toss into the garden salad all they other greats with the same rig.

I believe they were Marshall 100 watt amps with the suitable cabs.
    SolaSound Tonebender might have a bit to do with it too ??
    Any facts stated above questionable, and opinions are not necessarily to be taken seriously

Les Paul Forum Member

I have that on DVD too. I may incorrect, but isn't this his Tonemaster era? From a distance it looks like a vintage Fender, but the Tonemaster was a Bruce Zinky creation for Fender covered in blond tolex, and actually a great sounding amp.
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thejaf View Post
    I have that on DVD too. I may incorrect, but isn't this his Tonemaster era? From a distance it looks like a vintage Fender, but the Tonemaster was a Bruce Zinky creation for Fender covered in blond tolex, and actually a great sounding amp.
    The Tonemaster was a 100w head and 2x12 closed cab. In the video you can see it's a combo which would make it a Vibro King or Dual Professional but I'm pretty sure I read years ago it was the former. It may be more visible in other videos, the VK I believe is taller than a DP. And Zinky designed all three of them.

Les Paul Forum Member

If you look at 7:08, you can see that it has 9 knobs which would make it a Vibro King. The Dual Professional had 10 since it had a volume for each channel with one set of tone controls. The Tone Master had only 9 but in a different layout, 4 for one channel, 5 for the other and no three-knob reverb.

Page is also playing an AC30 of unknown vintage.