• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best amp for the best burst tone

sonar

Maybe he was, I'm just not hearing that compressed boxy el84 sound.

It’s there. Check other videos of the MTV special and it’s plain as day.

The Vox also adds some needed high end with Page’s tone. I’m fairly well versed with that era Vibro King, having played the early el84 reverb tube with Emi Blue frames, the 6V6 reverb tube revision with Emi’s and finally the 6V6 reverb tube with Jensen reissues, all in in band situations. Good sounding amps, but a little dark in the top end. To my ears Zinky wanted some Marshall flavor in his Fender designs (as opposed to narrow panel Tweeds) and apart from the Dual Pro all his custom shop amps are kind of dark.

Again, good sounding amps and I really like the idea of putting the reverb before the pre, but ime either the Super Reverb or Tweed Bassman are overall better sounding mousetraps.

Tim

It’s there. Check other videos of the MTV special and it’s plain as day.

The Vox also adds some needed high end with Page’s tone. I’m fairly well versed with that era Vibro King, having played the early el84 reverb tube with Emi Blue frames, the 6V6 reverb tube revision with Emi’s and finally the 6V6 reverb tube with Jensen reissues, all in in band situations. Good sounding amps, but a little dark in the top end. To my ears Zinky wanted some Marshall flavor in his Fender designs (as opposed to narrow panel Tweeds) and apart from the Dual Pro all his custom shop amps are kind of dark.

Again, good sounding amps and I really like the idea of putting the reverb before the pre, but ime either the Super Reverb or Tweed Bassman are overall better sounding mousetraps.

Thanks for your insights. I figured he was using the Vox in other songs, I just wasn't hearing it in the video I posted of SIBLY, though I had been wondering if he was using an effect to brighten his tone or if he had the bass and mids turned down on the VK.

sonar

Thanks for your insights. I figured he was using the Vox in other songs, I just wasn't hearing it in the video I posted of SIBLY, though I had been wondering if he was using an effect to brighten his tone or if he had the bass and mids turned down on the VK.

Page appears to like his LP's on the brighter side of the spectrum, so that's another part of the equation.

duaneflowers

Definitely a Kemper... :biggrin:

41294041_10216296063770817_3433101220938514432_n.jpg

cincyguitar

My Wampler Plexi-drive Deluxe gives me that great burst tone thru every amp....can't do without it...at low volume too....I need to buy another....:hank

CatManDoo88

For me, it would be a 1960s KT-66 based Marshall - whether Clapton's 1962 combo from Bluesbreakers, Peter Green's JTM 45 on The Supernatural, or the JTM45/100 from Fresh Cream.

herb

For my favorite LP tones I like to use my JTM45 head paired with my 4X4 cab loaded with Celestion alnico speakers, my Fender blackface Twin and Vibrolux Reverb combos with Jensens or my Carr Rambler with it's Kingtone speaker.

Texas Blues

Well let see what this question will bring up.

In your opinion, what do you think the ultimate amp is for the best Les Paul burst tone?

This would be my first guess, JTM 45 combo!

I dunno'.

Maybe its this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RJeRJMdbopI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Texas Blues

Or.

It might be this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gVmXNxqGxs4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

randall

Or.

It might be this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gVmXNxqGxs4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Awesome! thanks buddy!

K_L

That 'Flash Lightin` guitarist--wow!! Great playing & great tones--fantastic!!

renderit

DUDE!

Finally got a chance to listen to these cranked up!

That guy has more tone in his hand than anything I have heard in a long time!

What a fantastic sound!

I am growing a beard as I scriven hoping it will help me.

corpse

Awesome! thanks buddy!

THAT with a fucking Vox?
Randall- what is amazing is it still sounds like you. The Hobo video still has that Randall genetic tone to it. It's dem finger bones.

agogetr

Early 1970s metal face Marshall 1987. Loaded with nice tubes and through a well-aged 4x12, really can't be beat for just about anything except jazz.
in my opinion the early metal panel marshalls are monsters and i have one in particular that is a 71 100 watt super lead it hands down would be my pick to go with a burst. its explosive. a high power twin would be next in line.
of course you may have to pile blankets over the amp or something so you dont kill birds flying by.
i dont have my jam room set up yet so i use pedals with the big iron. dang it.