The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member Chef Greg's Avatar

Re: Geddy Lee has a Burst for sale.

all things considered, Rick & I think he got a good deal on a nice straight 'burst in Florida that day....
    "I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did before.".

Les Paul Forum Member Doc Sausage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Did Geddy Lee perform with this on a regular basis in Rush?
    If not, I see no reason for any upcharge based on "celebrity owned".
    So when making a valuation on a ‘celebrity-owned’ guitar, he/she actually had to perform with it to fetch a premium? Technically, he is a ‘celebrity’ that ‘owned’ the guitar. Seems it gets slippery from there. Like, were they a good player? Were they a great player? Were their record sales good? Etc. Where does it end?

I would expect most Bursts to stand on their own merits but obviously, names like Page, Beck, Green, and so on mean something to somebody. Even with a name attached is it still only worth what you can get? I mean, what if Page had a ‘number 4’ that never saw a spotlight? Is that a million dollar guitar? I’m no burst buyer. Just curious.
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sausage View Post
    So when making a valuation on a ‘celebrity-owned’ guitar, he/she actually had to perform with it to fetch a premium? Technically, he is a ‘celebrity’ that ‘owned’ the guitar. Seems it gets slippery from there. Like, were they a good player? Were they a great player? Were their record sales good? Etc. Where does it end?
    Miley Cyrus is a celebrity.
    So is Richard Simmons.
    How much extra is Burst worth if they owned it?
    Where does it end?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

IMHO the only time "celebrity owned" adds a premium is if it was the instrument on the recording of a blockbuster song/album.

Miley Cyrus is a celebrity.
    So is Richard Simmons.
    How much extra is Burst worth if they owned it?
    Where does it end?
    I call BS. What instrument is Simmons known for playing? Besides the obvious one. Did he sell a Burst? Geddy Lee was part of a classic, pivotal ROCK band that played instruments known to have been used by rock musicians. Instruments that were closely associated with what a burst might bring to the party. Granted, he may have been a bass player himself, but it’s a damn sight closer to a connection than your Simmons analogy. Or even Miley and her breasts.
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sausage View Post
    I call BS. What instrument is Simmons known for playing? Besides the obvious one. Did he sell a Burst? Geddy Lee was part of a classic, pivotal ROCK band that played instruments known to have been used by rock musicians. Instruments that were closely associated with what a burst might bring to the party. Granted, he may have been a bass player himself, but it’s a damn sight closer to a connection than your Simmons analogy. Or even Miley and her breasts.
    You have convoluted the subject [including your own post] so much, I'm not inclined to try to unravel it for you.
    Hint: "Where does it end?"
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

You have convoluted the subject [including your own post] so much, I'm not inclined to try to unravel it for you.
    Hint: "Where does it end?"
    Ah, and where does it begin?! Having ‘lurked’ here for 14 years, I’ve accidentally picked up on a few things. Me convoluting the nuances of a Burst sale? Seems most are anything but cut and dry, based on just a ‘make, model and year.’ What about that pesky provenance thing? Does a clean bill and past - or moreover, the lack of a clean past, not convolute a sale? Seems as if some dude with a name like, Geddy Lee, were selling a guitar, it would indeed command some kind of premium.

Talking with a friend tonight, he and I agreed that if we were displaying (or playing) a ‘59 Burst that had some kind of background, we’d be infinitely more proud to say that it was Geddy Lee’s axe than Richard Simmons!

Edit: and willing to pay more if in the position.

Les Paul Forum Member Chef Greg's Avatar

I certainly doubt that being owned by Geddy Lee would be any reason to discount it... -- ... imho; any guitar's change in value because of "celebrity owned" history is entirely up to the buyer ( & buyer's preferences) there's always exceptions to the "BlueBook" values of any collectible

... for me in most cases Celebrity owned means very little ...

Rick N. got a good deal on that 'burst, regardless.
    "I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did before.".

Imagine if it were for sale now. And it might make absolutely no difference but there will NEVER be a Rush in its original form again. But somehow, I see that as having an effect on value. In the seller’s favor! Dunno.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

It's actually not that complicated, and you just need to follow the market. "Celebrity" instruments, those that bring a (sometimes insane) premium, could more accurately be described as "iconic": Page's Burst, Blackie, Gilmour's black strat, etc. These instruments are part of musical history, and a small number of very well-heeled buyers can afford to compete to own them for bragging rights. It's important to remember that these billionaires can afford virtually anything--it's play money. I like to watch these sales for the entertainment value--nothing like watching some numb nuts pay $60K for a distortion pedal, for example. It really has almost nothing to do with the vintage guitar market.

Most high-end vintage guitar collectors have different concerns, which we're all familiar with. The Geddyburst was simply an example of a collector selling one of his guitars, and he got a decent price for what it was ($215K, minus any charges) Any interested buyer was able to evaluate it as they would any other burst. No celebrity premium involved. Apples and oranges.