• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Geddy Lee has a Burst for sale.

Chef Greg

all things considered, Rick & I think he got a good deal on a nice straight 'burst in Florida that day....:dude:

Doc Sausage

Did Geddy Lee perform with this on a regular basis in Rush?
If not, I see no reason for any upcharge based on "celebrity owned". :hmm

So when making a valuation on a ‘celebrity-owned’ guitar, he/she actually had to perform with it to fetch a premium? Technically, he is a ‘celebrity’ that ‘owned’ the guitar. Seems it gets slippery from there. Like, were they a good player? Were they a great player? Were their record sales good? Etc. Where does it end?

I would expect most Bursts to stand on their own merits but obviously, names like Page, Beck, Green, and so on mean something to somebody. Even with a name attached is it still only worth what you can get? I mean, what if Page had a ‘number 4’ that never saw a spotlight? Is that a million dollar guitar? I’m no burst buyer. Just curious.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So when making a valuation on a ‘celebrity-owned’ guitar, he/she actually had to perform with it to fetch a premium? Technically, he is a ‘celebrity’ that ‘owned’ the guitar. Seems it gets slippery from there. Like, were they a good player? Were they a great player? Were their record sales good? Etc. Where does it end?

Miley Cyrus is a celebrity.
So is Richard Simmons.
How much extra is Burst worth if they owned it?
Where does it end?
:ganz

J.D.

IMHO the only time "celebrity owned" adds a premium is if it was the instrument on the recording of a blockbuster song/album.

Doc Sausage

Miley Cyrus is a celebrity.
So is Richard Simmons.
How much extra is Burst worth if they owned it?
Where does it end?
:ganz

I call BS. What instrument is Simmons known for playing? Besides the obvious one. Did he sell a Burst? Geddy Lee was part of a classic, pivotal ROCK band that played instruments known to have been used by rock musicians. Instruments that were closely associated with what a burst might bring to the party. Granted, he may have been a bass player himself, but it’s a damn sight closer to a connection than your Simmons analogy. Or even Miley and her breasts.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I call BS. What instrument is Simmons known for playing? Besides the obvious one. Did he sell a Burst? Geddy Lee was part of a classic, pivotal ROCK band that played instruments known to have been used by rock musicians. Instruments that were closely associated with what a burst might bring to the party. Granted, he may have been a bass player himself, but it’s a damn sight closer to a connection than your Simmons analogy. Or even Miley and her breasts.

You have convoluted the subject [including your own post] so much, I'm not inclined to try to unravel it for you.
Hint: "Where does it end?"

Doc Sausage

You have convoluted the subject [including your own post] so much, I'm not inclined to try to unravel it for you.
Hint: "Where does it end?"

Ah, and where does it begin?! Having ‘lurked’ here for 14 years, I’ve accidentally picked up on a few things. Me convoluting the nuances of a Burst sale? Seems most are anything but cut and dry, based on just a ‘make, model and year.’ What about that pesky provenance thing? Does a clean bill and past - or moreover, the lack of a clean past, not convolute a sale? Seems as if some dude with a name like, Geddy Lee, were selling a guitar, it would indeed command some kind of premium.

Talking with a friend tonight, he and I agreed that if we were displaying (or playing) a ‘59 Burst that had some kind of background, we’d be infinitely more proud to say that it was Geddy Lee’s axe than Richard Simmons!:2cool

Edit: and willing to pay more if in the position.

Chef Greg

I certainly doubt that being owned by Geddy Lee would be any reason to discount it... :spabout -- ... imho; any guitar's change in value because of "celebrity owned" history is entirely up to the buyer ( & buyer's preferences) there's always exceptions to the "BlueBook" values of any collectible

... for me in most cases Celebrity owned means very little ...

Rick N. got a good deal on that 'burst, regardless.

Doc Sausage

Imagine if it were for sale now. And it might make absolutely no difference but there will NEVER be a Rush in its original form again. But somehow, I see that as having an effect on value. In the seller’s favor! Dunno.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
It's actually not that complicated, and you just need to follow the market. "Celebrity" instruments, those that bring a (sometimes insane) premium, could more accurately be described as "iconic": Page's Burst, Blackie, Gilmour's black strat, etc. These instruments are part of musical history, and a small number of very well-heeled buyers can afford to compete to own them for bragging rights. It's important to remember that these billionaires can afford virtually anything--it's play money. I like to watch these sales for the entertainment value--nothing like watching some numb nuts pay $60K for a distortion pedal, for example. It really has almost nothing to do with the vintage guitar market.

Most high-end vintage guitar collectors have different concerns, which we're all familiar with. The Geddyburst was simply an example of a collector selling one of his guitars, and he got a decent price for what it was ($215K, minus any charges) Any interested buyer was able to evaluate it as they would any other burst. No celebrity premium involved. Apples and oranges.