• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Could this be a modified '61 LP / SG custom?

GibbyLover

Hi,

could this be a '61 custom? Overall the basics dont't look off, the neck joint could be correct.
Obviously:
- refinish
- new tuners
- non fitting pickguard (to cover a middle pickup?) I asked a picture to check out a possible explanation.
- new TRCand screw seems off center of the diamond inlay
- new pickup(s)
- new bridge

a51a5cc33c.jpeg

a51a5d06a2.jpeg

a51a69c0e1.jpeg

a51a6efc17.jpeg

a51a796155.jpeg

a51a7c384c.jpeg

a51a86820a.jpeg

a51a8b41f7.jpeg

a51a92e6e6.jpeg

zhivago

Cool guitar...could be the real thing, but with the refin it's hard to say...the truss rod cover looks wrong, the tuners are different than the Grovers on mine...and for a '61 it is missing the screw holes on the top from the removed sideways vibrola (although they were probably filled during the refin process).

Hard to say...could be legit... :hmm

marshall1987

Cool guitar. :salude

I would establish the following guitar specs:

What is the neck profile like?

Does it have a 1 11/16" nut width?

Also does it have a 17 degree headstock pitch?

corpse

The serial number has been buggered into looking like something it is not.

Arch D. Bunker

The serial number has been buggered into looking like something it is not.

Quite the opposite - those jumbled stamped digits are typical for the first '61 SG LP Customs. Serial # also fits into that number sequence, too.

The OP is spot on I think - though who knows what crimes against humanity are covered by the black paint.. plus all original parts have gone, likely a pillaged guitar. Not worth much IMO.

GibbyLover

Thanks guys.

What quality could I expect? The wood should be better than the recent SG's.
What price would be fair?

VamboRool

Can you see the screw holes for the side to side vibrato? Should have holes for the pick-up mounting rings. Also the small pick guard would have a different screw hole pattern than the large guard.

Last edited:

VamboRool

Just pulled my 61 Custom out, my neck heel is different. Wired or non-wired ABR-1?

VamboRool

Just pulled my 61 Custom out, my neck heel is different. The truss rod cover touches the split diamond inlay. Is it a wired or non-wired ABR-1? Also, control cavity plate should be white not black. I'll say not a 61.

GibbyLover

Good eye on the binding, it sure looks weird now I'm focussing on it.

The backplate could have been changed, but I can't see a reason.

zhivago

I don't see anything weird with the binding, personally...

...on the heel side of things, they were all over the place...my early '63 Custom has a "smooth" heel which is not supposed to be correct. :hmm

blueline

...on the heel side of things, they were all over the place...my early '63 Custom has a "smooth" heel which is not supposed to be correct. :hmm

On the contrary, if the custom follows the pattern of the standard then the heel is the definitive feature that pegs this guitar as a 61. The heels were not all over the place. There were only 2 types of heels in 61, the early on as seen on this guitar and the later 61 that had a smooth heel.

latestarter

Did the customs have thicker neck binding than standards?

deytookerjaabs

There are nibs there. So, an original would have a very heavily sanded "rolled" fretboard edge and super tiny "fretless wonder" frets which can separate from what little nib would be left. The veneer script looks right but the logo seems very high or at least almost bumping the top binding. Also, look for MOP side dots versus black.

britbender

Not easy to turn those thumb wheels ;)
Cool axe, if the price is right i'd jump on it

edit: wonder what that square outline on the back is ?
looks too straight to be buckle rash

Fried okra

All the obvious has been pointed out, but i'd still play it. :yah
Killer hodge podge SG. Reminds me of some of the custom work like on Bob Marleys LP. :hmm