• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Humbucker Covers

dtodd

Hi!! I bought a new CS ‘60 Les Paul, which is beautiful. My question is, is it wise to remove the pickup covers?

dtodd

Why do you want to remove them?
Because Eric Clapton did, why else??😂. I’ve read it improves the tone, and I also always liked the look of no covers. Just not sure if I’d lower its value down the road, not that is ever get rid of it.

randall

It's your guitar, do it if that's what you want, save the covers, easy to put back on.

corpse

Just be careful when you remove them- there's a bunch of solder on there. Some guys use a utility knife. Nearby wood, force and fingers make me thing that's is a bad idea. I used a solder iron and heated and wiped, heated and wiped, etc. That was a crappy way to do it on poorly attached covers. Get a piece of tin copper braid (i.e. solder removal kit) and save yourself some time and potential damage to the coils and bobbins and the wood finish.

dtodd

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I’d keep the covers, and I have a tech that will do it safely. Does anyone feel that no covers equals better tone?

CatManDoo88

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I’d keep the covers, and I have a tech that will do it safely. Does anyone feel that no covers equals better tone?

Also, is your R0 a 2019 or an earlier year? If it is an earlier year, the Custombuckers are potted with wax, which might make the removal of the covers a bit of a mess as well. If yours is a 2019, then the Custombuckers are unpotted (like a real PAF) and you are good to go.

There is a lot of debate about whether removing the covers change the tone at all. Some say that it improves the top end, but there are others who say that since the nickel silver used in proper PAF or PAF replica covers is non-magnetic, it doesn't make a difference and it's in people's heads. I haven't done a direct AB of the same pickups with covers and without, but I really love my OX4 Beanos (which are uncovered for that Clapton look).

Guitar Whiskey

Another popular option is to remove the stock pickups and store them for safekeeping in the case pocket. Study the multiple threads of PAF style replacements and then get a set to see if that floats your boat.

dtodd

Also, is your R0 a 2019 or an earlier year? If it is an earlier year, the Custombuckers are potted with wax, which might make the removal of the covers a bit of a mess as well. If yours is a 2019, then the Custombuckers are unpotted (like a real PAF) and you are good to go.

There is a lot of debate about whether removing the covers change the tone at all. Some say that it improves the top end, but there are others who say that since the nickel silver used in proper PAF or PAF replica covers is non-magnetic, it doesn't make a difference and it's in people's heads. I haven't done a direct AB of the same pickups with covers and without, but I really love my OX4 Beanos (which are uncovered for that Clapton look).
It’s a 2019

dtodd

Another popular option is to remove the stock pickups and store them for safekeeping in the case pocket. Study the multiple threads of PAF style replacements and then get a set to see if that floats your boat.
I’ve actually thought of that, just to preserve the originals, but $$$