• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anybody else got luv for the BFG

louwd123

Hi all,

Recently got hold of a 2008 BFG in perfect condition and I love it. Cant really see much on forums about it. But, would like to know if there are at least someone else in the world who kinda likes it as well:eek:la. Also got some questions about finish and how tough it is. By not having a pick guard, would my small finger that rest on the top make a “hole” in the finish after some playing? Anybody made their BFG a bit more finished?

anyway, glad to be here, peace from South Africa.

thin sissy

I don't own one, but remember trying them out in stores back when they were new. I thought they were great, light and a P-90 in the neck! I don't know about the finish though. If they're like the "Faded" models, I think they are more prone to age than other guitars.

LucienMel

A friend of mine has a BFG. I held it in my hands a few times and I really like the feel and the sound.

FBPB

I have a 2018 BFG HH, love it! It's essentially pre-reliced, so no need to do anything to it other than play it and not worry about your first ding or scratch.

It does seem that the finish on the 2018 is a lot rougher than I remember on the 2010 one I had, although I could be wrong.

straightblues

I have one. I bought it new when they came out. I really like it. Mine has a lot of hours on it and I still play it regularly. If you do some searching on this forum you will find more info. There were a few people who bought them and sanded them down and refinished them with good results. They are pretty heavily chambered and get sort of a hollow body sorta tone to my ears. There are Xray pictures of a BFG floating around the internet.

FBPB

I have one. I bought it new when they came out. I really like it. Mine has a lot of hours on it and I still play it regularly. If you do some searching on this forum you will find more info. There were a few people who bought them and sanded them down and refinished them with good results. They are pretty heavily chambered and get sort of a hollow body sorta tone to my ears. There are Xray pictures of a BFG floating around the internet.

My 2018 has Ultra Modern Weight Relief, which looks like this according to Gibson's website:

2017-weight-relief.jpg