The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member magicGrailLog's Avatar

can I use P3000 thru P10000 to buff my nitro?

I already wet sanded the nitro (Cardinal brand from lmii) on my les paul that I'm building up thru P2000 grit, and found some sandpaper on amazon from P2000 thru P10000 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...T1OCXA0K&psc=1 ). Can I get a good glass type finish using the amazon sandpaper instead of using liquid buffing polish? Is liquid buffing polish better/easier? I'm new to this, but have read that using liquid buffing polish as another way to get the axe to shine, however since I'm comfortable wet sanding with naphtha I thought I'd *maybe* continue using it to get a glass finish instead of using the liquid polish. So far the wet sanding up thru P2000 has gone well.
    "Music doesn't lie" - Jimi

Les Paul Forum Member magicGrailLog's Avatar

Re: can I use P3000 thru P10000 to buff my nitro?

I'll skip the sanding and use the buffing compounds, however I'm wondering which one to use. I'll be rubbing with my hands since I'm super scared I'll work/burn thru my thin finish with a wheel. Is 3M's Finess-It a really good one? I see it has no waxes or silicones. Its chemical base is mineral oil which I assume is ok, right?
    "Music doesn't lie" - Jimi

Les Paul Forum Member mattnew33's Avatar

Re: can I use P3000 thru P10000 to buff my nitro?

I think, if this is your first time doing this.... start on a cheaper guitar. Its very doable and learnable, but screwing up on your pride and joy sucks big time :-) I know.