• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Very noisy LPC - Will shielding help?

lns

I recently noticed that my Les Paul Custom is very noisy compared to other instruments. I play with relatively high gain & it’s disturbingly noisy when I use a cable. When I use wireless it’s less noisy & when I lay my hand on the strings or bridge it becomes quiet. Is it properly grounded? Should I shield the cavities with copper?
It’s so noisy that if I don’t keep my hands on the strings when strumming while palm muting the low E I hear the noise between the notes.

My LP traditional has new EMG’s & it’s dead quiet. The other LP standard with DiMarzios is also about as noisy as the custom & a Charvel with SD pickups is a bit less noisy than both. Maybe the many cables running from my PC may have something to do with it as I never noticed this with a MacBook.

I’d like to solve it without installing EMG’s as I quite like the Gibson 498T - any tips?

sonar

Maybe. Maybe not.

You've got a lot of variables going on with your setup.

Strip it down to just the guitar and an amp set clean, then add preamp gain and/or a distortion pedal. You want to rule out grounding issues with the guitar and all your cables. Try plugging the amp and guitar (rotating cables) into different outlets around the house and see if there are differences in noise.

As for the rest, good luck. The level of gain you play, into a computer setup we have no idea about, are variables that get complicated really quick. Post a detailed description of your setup and we can try to help.

And you can always turn down the gain.

Keefoman

Much gain will cause noise. Especially with traditional pickups and electronics. Are you EMGs active, by the way? That would explain why they are quieter.

It could be a solder joint problem of course, but as you say, it's quiet when you touch the strings...

Have you considered less gain? You'd be surprised how little gain many (even metal) guitarplayers actually use.

Last edited:

lns

The problem is there even on crunch levels of gain. I have tried using my portable Yamaha THR10X with only batteries & the problem persists. When I have a clean sound it’s not a problem. I try to keep the gain as low as possible, ideally around Metallica Load / Garage-Inc levels. But death metal needs some high gain to sound good IMO.

yes the EMG’s are active, it’s the 57/66 combo only wired to the volume controls & pickup switch.
I think the PC set-up somehow interferes & that the cable acts as a ‘receiver’, because wireless is much quieter. Looking st the control cavity the cables look very bare, but I’m not an expert.

DRB9091

A few possible things, none involving "shielding the cavity". Put that out of your mind. It's a gimmick if you have proper solder joints, grounding, and conditioned juice.

I'm sure you switched out leads to eliminate the cable, tried another guitar to eliminate the amp and line, so then it's down to reconditioning or replacing electronics.

Unless you have SC, lol, then that's supposed to happen, right?

I've always done my own electroics and on one Strat project I just couldn't get anything right to stop hum. I ended up buying the whole preassembled pot/switch to prove I messed up and sure enough, everything was silky smooth.
Worth the money to humble myself a notch.

BadCat

I recently noticed that my Les Paul Custom is very noisy compared to other instruments. I play with relatively high gain & it’s disturbingly noisy when I use a cable. When I use wireless it’s less noisy & when I lay my hand on the strings or bridge it becomes quiet. Is it properly grounded? Should I shield the cavities with copper?
It’s so noisy that if I don’t keep my hands on the strings when strumming while palm muting the low E I hear the noise between the notes.

My LP traditional has new EMG’s & it’s dead quiet. The other LP standard with DiMarzios is also about as noisy as the custom & a Charvel with SD pickups is a bit less noisy than both. Maybe the many cables running from my PC may have something to do with it as I never noticed this with a MacBook.

I’d like to solve it without installing EMG’s as I quite like the Gibson 498T - any tips?
Mine aren`t noisy at all. Is yours a 60th anniversary?

Last edited:

sonar

The problem is there even on crunch levels of gain. I have tried using my portable Yamaha THR10X with only batteries & the problem persists. When I have a clean sound it’s not a problem. I try to keep the gain as low as possible, ideally around Metallica Load / Garage-Inc levels. But death metal needs some high gain to sound good IMO.

yes the EMG’s are active, it’s the 57/66 combo only wired to the volume controls & pickup switch.
I think the PC set-up somehow interferes & that the cable acts as a ‘receiver’, because wireless is much quieter. Looking st the control cavity the cables look very bare, but I’m not an expert.

It reads like a grounding issue, maybe more.

Check and if needed repair the ground scheme. It's not uncommon for the ground wire going from the back of the pots or ground plate (can't remember) to the tailpiece either separating or in a few cases (including my LP) never properly installed at the factory. I'd check that first.

A pic of the cavity would really help the forum sort this out.

I strongly recommend that every guitar player own a Digital Multi Meter. It's a key tool that at the least will help identify continuity. Even a cheap, $20 Chinese DMM is better than nothing.

Concentrate on the guitar first, then tackle the PC setup.

lns

So I took the easy way out & replaced the stock pickups with active EMG Hetfields & the noise went away.
I'm not a confident solderer, especially not on an expensive guitar.
I read that if the noise stops when you touch the strings / bridge your guitar is properly grounded - correct?

Texas Blues

So I took the easy way out & replaced the stock pickups with active EMG Hetfields & the noise went away.
I'm not a confident solderer, especially not on an expensive guitar.
I read that if the noise stops when you touch the strings / bridge your guitar is properly grounded - correct?

I have a '78 LP Pro w/p90s.

It was noisy but not strat noisy.

It came with the ash tray.

And yeah touch the strings and it would be quiet.

Later on I had some work done on it.

Tossed the ash tray.

Replaced all the wiring, pots, and pups.

Lollars and RS sheeit.

During that.

Found out it was never grounded from the factory.

Fixed that.

Added a B7.

Guitar is quiet as a mouse.

Living in an old lady 50 cat house.

And a tone monster.

Through a cranked 5e3 or Marshall 2204.

It sounds like rabid vampire wolves.

Having sex at midnight.

Love the one you're with.

El Gringo

I have a '78 LP Pro w/p90s.

It was noisy but not strat noisy.

It came with the ash tray.

And yeah touch the strings and it would be quiet.

Later on I had some work done on it.

Tossed the ash tray.

Replaced all the wiring, pots, and pups.

Lollars and RS sheeit.

During that.

Found out it was never grounded from the factory.

Fixed that.

Added a B7.

Guitar is quiet as a mouse.

Living in an old lady 50 cat house.

And a tone monster.

Through a cranked 5e3 or Marshall 2204.

It sounds like rabid vampire wolves.

Having sex at midnight.

Love the one you're with.

great post !