• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tailpiece Metal

h4ck.b0x7

When did Gibson start using aluminum tailpieces on Historics? Is there an easy way to tell?

Axelorox

I'm curious about this too. I've long wondered what the materials of the hardware are on my 2008 R7.

DANELECTRO

That timing sounds about right. I know that all Historics had aluminum in 2003, but i know that at least some if not all 2002 models also had them.

You can't one by looking at it, but you'll know the instant that you pick one up. I'm so used to handling the lightweight tailpieces that when come across an old zinc tailpiece, it feels like its made of lead.

57Strat777

You can weigh the tail piece and tell what it is made from. The aluminum tail piece weighs something like 1.1 ounces and the zinc one weighs like 3.5 ounces or something similar. It's been years since I weighed them, so going on memory.