• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1968, what happened between the Blackface and the Silverface era? NEW VIDEO!

TVBob

I just released this short video about the transitional era of the Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers at the end of the 60's, the period of the so-called "Drip Edge" Silverface models.

A 2008 CS R4, "hot rodded" with vintage original pickups, hardware and parts is also in action.

English and Italian subtitles available.

I hope you enjoy!

maxcarp709

Wonderful!Great video. I just got a 1970 Twin Reverb and converted it to a Blackface. I will post a pic if I can.

garywright

it sure is ! I’ve watched this video several times over the last couple years ..stay cool Mr. Bob 👍

jb_abides

Great video and great tone!

Dripface blue-toned grill cloth is phenomenal. The overall vibe of the Silverface era is great; nice to know you can dig around for Blackface circuits, too.

I also appreciate the orange decor! 🍑

Last edited:

corpse

I believe one big regret in the future will be converting these SF to BF- they are v cool on their own. But it is an easy reversal.
I think a lot of Sticky Finger & Exile was early SF Fenders. The Stones certainly planned to tour with them before they blew up during the '69 tour rehearsals.

jb_abides

Varied by song: from the Rolling Stones Gear book...

Can't You Hear Me Knockin': Amps that were used during the Sticky Fingers sessions, per Mick Taylor -

"We used small amps. Most of the time we'd use either Fender Twin Reverbs or Ampeg VT-22s, which I later developed a preference for."

Exile: Twins augmented (supplanted?) by Ampeg, creeping in from the stage to studio.

Ironically, I got a Deluxe over a Twin to manage loudness, but I have a VT-40 that just kills the tone, too loud though. And also too heavy. I am not sure how I lifted it up a couple flight of stairs but now I am moving... down it must come! Not looking forward to moving amps. I need to do it in stages ... but I digress.

Last edited: