• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

G0 Thrōbak Recommendation

h4ck.b0x7

I’m having a hard time deciding which Thrōbak pickups to put in my G0. I’ve narrowed it down to 3:

SLE-101
SLE-101 Plus
PG-102 (flipped)

I'm a rocker through and through. Here's a list of my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen not Van Hagar, Skynyrd, Def Leppard...

Partially just kidding, I listen to a variety of Blues, Rock and Country:

Mayall
Clapton
Bloomfield
Rolling Stones
Peter Green
Led Zeppelin
The Kings (Albert, B.B., Freddie)
Skynyrd
Jeff Beck
Etc...

El Gringo

I am a super huge fan of ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus with A5 magnets as I have them in 8 of my Les Paul's www.throbak.com

Last edited:

CatManDoo88

I don't have any personal experience with Throbaks, but I was investigating their offerings for my CS9 recently. I'm also a big fan of the British blues guys, especially Clapton's playing with Mayall, and Throbak told me that the PG-102 set without magnet flip is the best fit for the Beano sound and their pickup buyer's guide references them as great for Zeppelin tones as well. If I recall correctly the SLE-101 is A2 magnets for more of an open,sweet, low output sound. if I recall correctly, the iconic Freddie King and BB King tones were primarily done with early Patent No. pickups, which would have been A5 magnets as well, like the PG-102 set. I ultimately got a set of OX4 Beanos instead, but if it was me, I would go for the PG-102 set based on the tones you mentioned liking. The SLE-101 Plus could also possibly a good fit and get lots of love around here.

h4ck.b0x7

I don't have any personal experience with Throbaks, but I was investigating their offerings for my CS9 recently. I'm also a big fan of the British blues guys, especially Clapton's playing with Mayall, and Throbak told me that the PG-102 set without magnet flip is the best fit for the Beano sound and their pickup buyer's guide references them as great for Zeppelin tones as well. If I recall correctly the SLE-101 is A2 magnets for more of an open,sweet, low output sound. if I recall correctly, the iconic Freddie King and BB King tones were primarily done with early Patent No. pickups, which would have been A5 magnets as well, like the PG-102 set. I ultimately got a set of OX4 Beanos instead, but if it was me, I would go for the PG-102 set based on the tones you mentioned liking. The SLE-101 Plus could also possibly a good fit and get lots of love around here.

Funny you mention the OX4 Beano pickups, I have those in another Les Paul. I’m from Michigan and want to try Thrōbak this time around.

Guitar Whiskey

The right pickup depends quite a bit on the acoustic tone or resonance of the guitar. Man this is a big topic with so many opinions.