The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

G0 Thrōbak Recommendation

Iím having a hard time deciding which Thrōbak pickups to put in my G0. Iíve narrowed it down to 3:

SLE-101
    SLE-101 Plus
    PG-102 (flipped)

I'm a rocker through and through. Here's a list of my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen not Van Hagar, Skynyrd, Def Leppard...

Partially just kidding, I listen to a variety of Blues, Rock and Country:

Mayall
    Clapton
    Bloomfield
    Rolling Stones
    Peter Green
    Led Zeppelin
    The Kings (Albert, B.B., Freddie)
    Skynyrd
    Jeff Beck
    Etc...

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: G0 Thrōbak Recommendation

I am a super huge fan of ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus with A5 magnets as I have them in 8 of my Les Paul's www.throbak.com
    Last edited by El Gringo; 09-19-19 at 12:05 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar

I don't have any personal experience with Throbaks, but I was investigating their offerings for my CS9 recently. I'm also a big fan of the British blues guys, especially Clapton's playing with Mayall, and Throbak told me that the PG-102 set without magnet flip is the best fit for the Beano sound and their pickup buyer's guide references them as great for Zeppelin tones as well. If I recall correctly the SLE-101 is A2 magnets for more of an open,sweet, low output sound. if I recall correctly, the iconic Freddie King and BB King tones were primarily done with early Patent No. pickups, which would have been A5 magnets as well, like the PG-102 set. I ultimately got a set of OX4 Beanos instead, but if it was me, I would go for the PG-102 set based on the tones you mentioned liking. The SLE-101 Plus could also possibly a good fit and get lots of love around here.

Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo88 View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with Throbaks, but I was investigating their offerings for my CS9 recently. I'm also a big fan of the British blues guys, especially Clapton's playing with Mayall, and Throbak told me that the PG-102 set without magnet flip is the best fit for the Beano sound and their pickup buyer's guide references them as great for Zeppelin tones as well. If I recall correctly the SLE-101 is A2 magnets for more of an open,sweet, low output sound. if I recall correctly, the iconic Freddie King and BB King tones were primarily done with early Patent No. pickups, which would have been A5 magnets as well, like the PG-102 set. I ultimately got a set of OX4 Beanos instead, but if it was me, I would go for the PG-102 set based on the tones you mentioned liking. The SLE-101 Plus could also possibly a good fit and get lots of love around here.
    Funny you mention the OX4 Beano pickups, I have those in another Les Paul. Iím from Michigan and want to try Thrōbak this time around.

Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar

That would be a great question to ask Jon at Throbak.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.

"I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

"You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, Barb" - Twitter reply to Barbra Streisand

Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar

The right pickup depends quite a bit on the acoustic tone or resonance of the guitar. Man this is a big topic with so many opinions.