• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

71-72 Les Paul Custom Goldtop no reissue no vos no remake

TiaT

Hey everyone! Pretty new here so maybe you can help get to the right thread if I’m already here then great! My husband and I recently purchased a 1971-1972 Norlin era Gibson Les Paul Custom Goldtop that has lacquer checking and aging green where the right arm would rest. My profile picture is set to the guitar we purchased. My question .... has anyone ever heard of Gibson making a Custom Goldtop?

Attachments

• 75C0025E-7244-4C59-BC70-D75BDBCF0EE0.jpg
    75C0025E-7244-4C59-BC70-D75BDBCF0EE0.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 97

Triplet

Bridge is wrong for a '72, should be a Nashville. Could possibly be a '72 with the pancake but probably not an original 3-pup guitar. Earliest 3-pup I've seen was a late '75. I suppose it could be a factory refin to gold. I have a '73 Deluxe that was done so well it had to be a factory refin. Like a dummy I went and stripped it, though :bh Pictures of the pup routes would tell the story.

AJCR

^ You mean it should be an ABR. Post 75 is the Nashville.

I'd guess a refin. Plenty of these era guitars were modded.......pickup rout changes, added switches, bridge or tuner swaps, paint removed etc etc.

If you can add in pics of the front and rear of headstock as well, plus maybe an in focus electrics cavity shot so we can decode the pot numbers for build date that will help. I've lost count of the number of '70/71 guitars' that are actually 73/74.

djcmusician

more pics of the whole guitar please. Regardless of what it is, it sure looks cool.

Progrocker111

Looks like it has correct thin cutaway binding (lasted until late 1975), wrong bridge. Possible good refin.

Bruce R

Very cool guitar! I don't think I have ever seen a Custom in that configuration. Great look!