• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

RIP: The Cars frontman Ric Ocasek found dead in Manhattan townhouse

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
My favorite song from them is Drive even though Rick isn’t singing.

how may people associate this song with Phoebe Cates more than they do the Cars?

Funny, I remember the scene vividly -- I completely forgot that was the music underneath it. (I think I was hypnotized by Phoebe…)

Heartbeat City
was quite a change in the Car's sound, as they replaced Roy Thomas Baker with Mutt Lange, and Lange went with loads of Fairlight and other then-trendy digital synths instead of the massed guitars he was associated with thanks to his AC/DC and Def Leppard productions. “Drive” and the title song were great songs, and Andy Warhol even appeared in the video for “Hello Again,” three years before he passed away.

jb_abides

and Andy Warhol even appeared in the video for “Hello Again,” three years before he passed away.

...in fact, Warhol directed it. The original NSFW version is readily available on Daily Motion. Also, a then-unknown young Gina Gershon sticks out her tongue with "Hello" graphics in this video.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Andy was just getting his chops together with the Cars to be prepared for his finest show-biz moment -- guest star on the Love Boat!

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The Pheobe Cates scene is Moving in Stereo!!!!

How could you not have that etched permanently on your brain!!

wiltel24

Very saddened and shocked to hear this. Been listening to a lot of Cars songs the last two days and had forgotten what an influence they had on me musically early on when I was playing guitar in a band in the 80's. These guys had the whole package, talent, style and great tunes. RIP Ric.

Last edited: