• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

71-72 Gibson Les Paul Custome Goldtop

TiaT

Hey everyone! Pretty new here so maybe you can help get to the right thread if I’m already here then great! My husband and I recently purchased a 1971-1972 Norlin era Gibson Les Paul Custom Goldtop that has lacquer checking and aging green where the right arm would rest. My profile picture is set to the guitar we purchased. My question .... has anyone ever heard of Gibson making a Custom Goldtop?​
<fieldset class="postcontent" style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; caret-color: rgb(243, 243, 243); color: rgb(243, 243, 243); -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;"></fieldset>

Attachments

• 01A8049E-A4B7-4CB3-A768-9F3C9A09207A.jpg
    01A8049E-A4B7-4CB3-A768-9F3C9A09207A.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 48

woody-89

Cool looking guitar! Not a colour that Gibson ever made Customs in, so I'd assume it's a refin, and going by the (possibly?) reddish colour on the sides, it may have started life as a cherry sunburst custom. I also don't believe Gibson made any 3 pickup customs as standard in this era, but there are some original factory ordered 3 P/U models out there from the early 70s. I'd pop the pickups out and have a look at the routing job for the middle pickup compared with the other 2 to see if it's original.

Looks like a very cool guitar though. Would love to see it with some black plastics on there too!