The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Gibson ES-330L bridge question

Hey all, my girlfriend has a very nice ES-330L, one of the more recent Custom Shop reissues. It's a great guitar and she loves it, but she's having problems getting the bridge fully intonated. I read online that this bridge is an ABR-1, which has less travel for the saddles, and that a Nashville style bridge might work better. I have a couple of questions about this though -

1) ABR-1s are supposed to be screwed directly into the body, but on her guitar it's screwed into metal posts/bushings. Is this because the bridge has been swapped out, or is it just because they have to do this on hollow bodied guitars?

2) If it is an ABR-1, is there a drop in replacement Nashville style bridge or will modification be necessary? Thanks.

Les Paul Forum Member musekatcher's Avatar

Re: Gibson ES-330L bridge question

Quote Originally Posted by adamrobertt View Post
    Hey all, my girlfriend has a very nice ES-330L, one of the more recent Custom Shop reissues. It's a great guitar and she loves it, but she's having problems getting the bridge fully intonated. I read online that this bridge is an ABR-1, which has less travel for the saddles, and that a Nashville style bridge might work better. I have a couple of questions about this though -

1) ABR-1s are supposed to be screwed directly into the body, but on her guitar it's screwed into metal posts/bushings. Is this because the bridge has been swapped out, or is it just because they have to do this on hollow bodied guitars?

2) If it is an ABR-1, is there a drop in replacement Nashville style bridge or will modification be necessary? Thanks.
    Sounds original and correct. Yes, there are some replacements with more travel, and with rollers too. But, I'd be concerned if you need more travel - that indicates something else is wrong. Sure its an authentic Gibson? Wrong scale length or mislocated bridges occur on copies.

The 330L, being hollow, doesn't have bridge bushings. OP, are you sure you are not seeing the stock double thumbwheels and mistaking them for bushings?

The intonation problem is weird, have you tried new strings?

I have one, it's a great guitar!

Les Paul Forum Member

On some strings you can reverse the saddle to get more travel to intonate.
    Al

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adamrobertt View Post

Most, if not all ES-330s have ABR bridges with the thin posts that are screwed directly into the body (as opposed to Nashville posts, which have wide bases at the bottom of the posts, mounted into the body).

There are conversion bridges for Nashville > ABR, but I don't know about ABR > Nashville (not a very popular conversion, I imagine).

I'd take the guitar to a luthier to see if something can be done with the saddles first, before going for a bridge swap.

Les Paul Forum Member

My ES-330L is a 2010. The stock set up, as mentioned, uses double thumb wheels - with the lower thumbwheel providing stability for the post where it attaches to the body.