• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60th Anniversay or is it!

Tim1300r

Greetings All

I ordered a 60th Anniversary LP in February and Gibson lost the order. OK I'm over that now.
So I popped down to Thomann whilst here in Germany as they had 7 Lefty 60th Anniversaries in stock. It's like the clouds opened and light shone down.

The first one I played was just amazing, really it's the real deal, but I felt there was something not quite right about.

So they get another one out for me and that one did not have the same zing and chordal separation of the first and the volume pots were not as good, it all happened after 8 and not much before. The two of them were like chalk and cheese really. But the trouble is the first one dominated it all after that.

The first one, which I called "The Department of Mysteries" had a 60th Anniversary case and paper work. But it did not have to gold script Gibson Logo on the headstock, it also did not have the 1959-2019 badge on the back of the switch cavity and the serial number is 9-8xxx, yes there's an 8 in there!.
It does have a proper "peek-a-boo" top and it's in Royal Tea Burst. It's a totally fabulous thing it really is.

We are awaiting an answer from Gibson.

Keith Richards said the guitar finds you, you don't find it. And I will go along with his words of wisdom as every wonderful guitar I have has rather oddly presented itself when I least expected it.

Tim1300r

OK so the story is that it's a preproduction model, a kind of R+D donkey.

uummm.

Well whatever, it sounds outstanding when it's plugged in, and it's a lefty too. :spabout

BluesForDan

All Access/Backstage Pass
dude? do I need to try to circumvent some pilot strike and cross the pond to slap you upside the head? :rolleyes: You're a LEFTY and you found a god's gift to guitars and you're balking because of an ink stamp on the back of the headstock?:hee

Do not look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth. Grab it and run. Well, do pay for it first and all but don't let it go.

Oh, and preemptive call for pics.

Tim1300r

Fear not, the guitar will be mine on Saturday. No need to pop across the pond and give me a good whooping!

BluesForDan

All Access/Backstage Pass
Fear not, the guitar will be mine on Saturday. No need to pop across the pond and give me a good whooping!

oh, good. cuz I, ah, kind of don't have a passport at the moment and it's probably going to take me forever to get a copy of my birth certificate and whatever else I need to get one, so you've saved everyone involved a lot of headache. Muy Gracias.

now, the worst part, the wait. uhn, why is that second hand on the clock moving soooo slow?

wsaraceni

oh, good. cuz I, ah, kind of don't have a passport at the moment and it's probably going to take me forever to get a copy of my birth certificate and whatever else I need to get one, so you've saved everyone involved a lot of headache. Muy Gracias.

now, the worst part, the wait. uhn, why is that second hand on the clock moving soooo slow?

Post mirrored pics so we can all admire it.

Tim1300r

Dept of Mysteries resized.jpg

I had another visit to Thomann and bought the guitar yesterday. Yippee!
The amp that I have been playing through was a Tone King Imperial. So as to get some kind of baseline I went along with my Telecaster for reference, else you can get tricked.
The last time I played through it I got the Jimmy Page tone from The Song Remains the Same movie. More or less on Rock n Roll and Since I've been lovin you.
Well ofcourse I didn't take note of the amp settings (fool I am) so second time I had to fiddle about. Managed to get something close to the Eric Clapton sound from The BluesBreaker album (Steppin out). That was the point I started to dissolve into the floor. Got the card out and paid.

This was bought on sound and feel and not on "The Top". To some people the "Top" is everything and I can go with that. This one is very pronounced in one direction and almost disappears the other.

Whilst we were chatting I said now all I need is the Bag that some people bought back in the 50's to put their cases in. Apparently people complained because when they were queuing up for the bus on rainy Chicago nights the case would get ruined so they came up with the Rain Coat cover. Well as chance would have it the man at Thomann found me one. It's not an original one, it's something the Custom Shop came up with.a5-9254_600x600@2x.jpg

Last edited: