• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Internal Shielded Wire: what n where?

ALEX999

I did try to search this but came back with too many threads and nothing that answered all my questions. or sorry my bad.

What internal guitar wires need to be shielded?

LP related -
Many Humbuckers come with shielded wires long enough to reach the pots but the other wires may or may not be shielded.

I'd like to buy a piece of 4 wire shielded cable for the LP 3-way switch. I wanted 22awg but all I can easily find is 24awg. is 24awg wire a good choice?
Can I buy this shielded wire at a Home store or does it have to say "Audio Wire"?

Does any other LP internal wire need to be shielded as well?

I will shield all pockets inside the guitar. I could use a guide as to how to properly do this.

Thanks

PaulD

Typically Gibson use shielded wire to minimise electro magnetic and RF interference whereas Fender use unshielded wire and shield the cavity instead. It is not usually necessary to do do both.

24AWG wire is fine, I don't know what wiring scheme your guitar has but a standard Gibson 3 way switch only needs a 3 core wire, of course if 4 core is what you have to hand or can get easily then you can use that and just leave one of the cores unconnected. "Audio grade" wire is just a marketing term, any reasonable quality shielded cable is fine for guitar wiring. You could even cut up an old USB cable and use that if you are stuck - that is 4 core shielded cable.

ALEX999

Typically Gibson use shielded wire to minimise electro magnetic and RF interference whereas Fender use unshielded wire and shield the cavity instead. It is not usually necessary to do do both.

24AWG wire is fine, I don't know what wiring scheme your guitar has but a standard Gibson 3 way switch only needs a 3 core wire, of course if 4 core is what you have to hand or can get easily then you can use that and just leave one of the cores unconnected. "Audio grade" wire is just a marketing term, any reasonable quality shielded cable is fine for guitar wiring. You could even cut up an old USB cable and use that if you are stuck - that is 4 core shielded cable.

Ok Thanks Paul!

So a 3 wire cable also has a ground wire which is actually a 4th conductor to ground the switch.

Off topic, but what brand can I use to replace the toggle switch on an LP?

PaulD

Yes, the shielding braid is the ground connection. Gibson use Switchcraft brand toggle switches and they are probably the best you can get, there are other cheaper ones available but the original Switchcraft ones are much better quality - there are plenty of well used 60+ year old Gibsons around with their original switches still in perfect working order!