• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1958 Burst with issues @ Gruhn's - currently on hold

sws1

Did you see the price?

Also looks like maybe it has Nashville posts.
EDIT: I see from the FB post below that it had a Nashville, and now has Faber/Nashville conversion bridge.

Last edited:

sws1

I was told by others that it was 90k.

Gruhn certainly seems to price their bursts 'to move within hours', based on the last few sales.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I was told by others that it was 90k.

Gruhn certainly seems to price their bursts 'to move within hours', based on the last few sales.

Ol' George is no fool. 80-90K is a solid price for a Burst with that repair history, and he gets paid to sell 'em. Best of all, the buyer gets an honest-to-God Burst, with an original top finish and electronics. Plays good, sounds good, and looks good--the trifecta!

sws1

Ol' George is no fool. 80-90K is a solid price for a Burst with that repair history, and he gets paid to sell 'em. Best of all, the buyer gets an honest-to-God Burst, with an original top finish and electronics. Plays good, sounds good, and looks good--the trifecta!

Read 'Freakonomics'. "Paid to sell" is not "paid to get the best price for the owner". The incentive structure for people who work on commission is not 100% aligned with the owner's.
But if the owner just wants to get "something", the model works fine.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Read 'Freakonomics'. "Paid to sell" is not "paid to get the best price for the owner". The incentive structure for people who work on commission is not 100% aligned with the owner's.

Sounds like you're pissed about the price, for some reason--not sure why. Willing seller, willing buyer, and all that...:hmm

marshall1987

Despite the long story, it looks like a nice entry level vintage Les Paul. But where is it claimed to have the original PAFs and electronics?

sws1

Sounds like you're pissed about the price, for some reason--not sure why. Willing seller, willing buyer, and all that...:hmm

Not pissed at all. Just super interested in the machinations of the market and its players. If all are happy, that's great.

kuwahara80

Just curious..
The ad states it is VG condition. Do you guys agree with that description, given the repair history?
I don' t want to bash anything. Just would like to know, how much can be done to a VG condition guitar?

deytookerjaabs

Oh man, I'm gonna have to disagree. Freakonomics was the worst attempt at re-constructing arguments with zero context then making blanket conclusions that I've seen. I could not get through more than a few pages of that mess.

Allow me to explain:

One of the first examples I read was about stolen cars. The author cites a "professional thief" stating that in his profession "The Club" means nothing. Then, the author somehow applies that logic to all stolen cars therefore, ergo, Freakonomics concludes "The Club" is useless. The problem is that was bull****. The thief he cited was part of an exclusive ring of a high end operation of re-sellers, a real syndicate.

Whereas, the average car theft is either amateurs who know how to wire a car looking for crack money taking it to a shady salvage shop or straight up young joy-riders who steal & dump. For them, and they're after the average well used car, no way in hell they'll bother with a car that has "The Club" installed as they go for the easiest and quickest job every time. It's 100% a legitimate deterrent. The only time it's not a deterrent is if your car is so high-end it's a target for an expert operation or if it's a syndicate who straight up use tow trucks.

So, basically, Freakonomics told a ****load of people to throw away something they bought which did act as a deterrent against the average instance of car theft.

That's not analysis, that's punditry.

But if you like it, I guess that's fair!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The higher the commission percentage, the greater the motivation for the seller to work for a higher price. :ganz

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Just curious..
The ad states it is VG condition. Do you guys agree with that description, given the repair history?
I don' t want to bash anything. Just would like to know, how much can be done to a VG condition guitar?

Terms like "very good condition" mean very little by themselves.
I ignore most of the simple description terms like this.
Even "mint" isn't always agreed upon. :)

sws1

Oh man, I'm gonna have to disagree. Freakonomics was the worst attempt at re-constructing arguments with zero context then making blanket conclusions that I've seen. I could not get through more than a few pages of that mess.

Allow me to explain:

One of the first examples I read was about stolen cars. The author cites a "professional thief" stating that in his profession "The Club" means nothing. Then, the author somehow applies that logic to all stolen cars therefore, ergo, Freakonomics concludes "The Club" is useless. The problem is that was bull****. The thief he cited was part of an exclusive ring of a high end operation of re-sellers, a real syndicate.

Whereas, the average car theft is either amateurs who know how to wire a car looking for crack money taking it to a shady salvage shop or straight up young joy-riders who steal & dump. For them, and they're after the average well used car, no way in hell they'll bother with a car that has "The Club" installed as they go for the easiest and quickest job every time. It's 100% a legitimate deterrent. The only time it's not a deterrent is if your car is so high-end it's a target for an expert operation or if it's a syndicate who straight up use tow trucks.

So, basically, Freakonomics told a ****load of people to throw away something they bought which did act as a deterrent against the average instance of car theft.

That's not analysis, that's punditry.

But if you like it, I guess that's fair!

I never made it all the way through the book either (can't remember why...too much rambling perhaps), but the chapter on commission-based sales agents was/is relevant. Especially since I spent an entire career dealing with the messes causes by sales people and organizations who had minimal/reduced stake in the outcome.

Anyway...end of my thread distraction.

deytookerjaabs

I never made it all the way through the book either (can't remember why...too much rambling perhaps), but the chapter on commission-based sales agents was/is relevant. Especially since I spent an entire career dealing with the messes causes by sales people and organizations who had minimal/reduced stake in the outcome.

Anyway...end of my thread distraction.

Agreed.

90K and that **** goes overnight.

It's like that a lot in the Nashville shops, with the prices. I'll never understand, they go mostly from "how will you ever ever sell this" to the occasional "this will be gone in 10 minutes."