• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1970's or early 1980's Walnut ES-3??

musekatcher

I need a little direction. I played a friends Walnut ES-335-like guitar a few months ago. It had a trapeze tailpiece, chrome humbuckers, a coil split switch, and dot neck. Just a 335 with a coil split option? The year is approximated based on when it was purchased, which the owner could only narrow to 1979-1982. It was an awesome experience, that left me hungry for something similar, including that coil split.

Wally

Hmmm...I forgot about the trapeze tailpiece??? And the dots....

musekatcher

Hmmm...I forgot about the trapeze tailpiece??? And the dots....

It had the same coil split switch, but did have dots and a trapeze. Nickel hardware. I've looked, but I don't see that combination. May be a mod with the trapeze, or added the coil split?

crashbelt

Walnut, late 70s, coil split, trap tail - just needs the access hole cut in the back for the worst 335 on the planet:bigal:laugh2:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Maybe it was one of these? the ES-325. Stripped down version with the controls on a plate mounted on the front to save costs.

crashbelt

Maybe it was one of these? the ES-325. Stripped down version with the controls on a plate mounted on the front to save costs.

Norlin must have run an in-house competition for the worst looking and sounding design to ever bear the Gibson name. A clear winner - thanks for posting to remind us just how bad the output of a great guitar maker can get in the wrong corporate hands!!

musekatcher

Nope not a 325. I recall this period had the shawbuckers, and it was versatile, having a nice clean, and good overdrive both. I'm wondering if my memory of the dot neck is wrong, and maybe it had the blocks afterall, so I'll revisit with the owner.

musekatcher

We actually made a few of these in Nashville around '80 ~ '81. Walnut or Wine Red only. It was the regular 335 TD model at that time. Chrome hardware, trapeze tailpiece, block inlays, and a two position coil tap switch on the lower horn. Pickups were not Shaws on these. Fantastic guitars!!

Here's a sample: https://reverb.com/item/19985992-1979-gibson-es-335-walnut-original-case-factory-coil-tap-used

I think thats it. I must have imprinted the dots in my head. It was a good one, and left an impression. The thing that got me was how quick i could dial n tones using the coil split with three positions. Plus the liquid sustain from controlled feedback. I was entertained all night.

Telechamp

A friend gave me first dibs when selling his early 70's walnut 335 for $1200 a couple of years ago, but I stupidly decided to pass.

(Yes, I'm still kicking myself...) :##

nwpz0zI.jpg

IJ4bhEj.jpg