The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

So I grovererd my TH59

I have to say, the tonal improvement with regard to response, sustain and note to note balance across the fretboard is not subtle. The guitar as a whole feels more alive and vibrant.

I know there is a simplistic view that added weight at the end of the headstock deadens the response but this is completely contrary to basic physics. Even acoustic guitar makers know that proper bracing is crucial to enhancing and tuning tonal response.

Prior to the Grovers, The guitar was tonally a bit “unfocused”. The lighter kluson tuners allowed the resonances to either cancel out or dissipate creating a somewhat muddled response when plugged in despite the guitar being acoustically quite loud. The Grovers have not lessened the resonances as the guitar still rings out loudly acoustically. However that muddledness when plugged in is gone. Now the guitar has greater definition and punch with plenty of sweet overtones and harmonics that a great Les Paul is able to deliver.

I do think to Grover or not to Grover is definitely guitar dependent. Some guitars already have a more focused or very strong fundamental tone that might be better served with klusons. But acoustically loud Les Pauls, especially those that seem to have a broad tonal response that a little more prominent in the lower mids might very well benefit from them.

I also like the looks, My grovered TH59 and my two R9 Brazilians

Les Paul Forum Member TexanViking's Avatar

Re: So I grovererd my TH59

Welcome to the club! Not sure I could tell from the photos, but did you get the modern or the milk bottles, and 18:1 or a different ratio, etc.?
    Your experience really closely mirrors mine. I have a 2018 Tom Murphy w/ a Brazilian board, quite loud unplugged, and I swear I feel it ring more, particularly in the gut.
    Beautiful looking axes you got there too, btw. Stock pickups in all?
    Also, I found that the difference in voice of my unwound three became more pronounced. Swapping in proper nickel plated brass thumb wheels evened out the high three’s mellow-to-not ratio.

Les Paul Forum Member TexanViking's Avatar

Never mind the milk bottle question, as soon as I hit ‘Reply’ I could see them again. Limitations of being on the phone.

Milk bottle it is. There seems to be a lot of interest in them version.
    I have them on my ES
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!