NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member

Re: My Historic knobs are falling apart

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRollShakeUp View Post
    Ah, well that makes it easier then. For some reason I thought the CS used different knobs on the Historic line compared to their USA models. I'll just get some Gibson Original Knobs form Sweetwater.
    Yes, they should be the same

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRollShakeUp View Post
    Ah, well that makes it easier then. For some reason I thought the CS used different knobs on the Historic line compared to their USA models. I'll just get some Gibson Original Knobs form Sweetwater.
    They did have replicas made for the “True Historic “ Series using CAB. From what I’ve seen, they look pretty much like the originals. I bought originals backs in the early 2000’s for my guitars, but if I was buying an R-7 thru R-0 I’d expect the guitar to have the CAB knobs. Seems to me that since Gibson had all the original plastic parts re-made that they would use them on all the Historics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Well, it depend on the amount of ageing that have been done to the knobs. You see the knobs on creamtone's page that i linked too? They cost a bit, but the seems right! And the aging seems to be very subtle
    So in that case, no i don't think that would be tacky

One of my tone knobs got a little "white" mark on it, at the very bottom. So I'am gonna pull the trigger one this one.
    Sorry I missed your response. Good points, and if I decide to fork out lots of salad, these do indeed look great and aren’t overly done..so I think you are right, they’d look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Yes, they should be the same
    Roger that.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    They did have replicas made for the “True Historic “ Series using CAB. From what I’ve seen, they look pretty much like the originals. I bought originals backs in the early 2000’s for my guitars, but if I was buying an R-7 thru R-0 I’d expect the guitar to have the CAB knobs. Seems to me that since Gibson had all the original plastic parts re-made that they would use them on all the Historics.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I guess they ordered a pretty small batch only for the TH’s, and when those went tits up, no more.

OK, so I got the Gibson Accessories Top Hat Knobs - Gold, from Sweetwater.

Below are comparison pictures. As you can see they are not the same as the CS Historic knobs. Other than the fact that they cracked, the Historic ones are definitely preferable to me due to the deeper, richer coloring, and the reversed embossed (is that the right terminology) numbers which do make it easier to see these numbers in fact.

But the Accessories ones fit OK, and the difference when not looking at them super close up, esp. with photography, is not that super stark. At the very least they are good place holders, especially for being $20, until I decide to fork out one hundred clams for some high quality reproduction knobs. I did notice the sustain suffer in the guitar now though

I just wish Gibson Custom sold their knobs so that I can buy a replacement set, assuming they would have been less than the aftermarket custom reproductions. I sent a message to Gibson Custom, via their website, but I heard nothing back. I also sent an email to Wildwood too but they haven't responded either, which I do find a bit surprising, as I was merely asking them if they can get some, or know somewhere else that I could get some CS knobs.